Author Topic: Precursors FAQ  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Precursors FAQ
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:59:58 pm »
This is the official FAQ. Check back as it's updated, corrected, or as things change.

Q: Where is the source code?

A: It's here: svn://kashmir.g33xnexus.com/precursors/source/trunk (Just check that out using subversion.)

Q: What if I want to contribute?

A: Talk to the head of the department you want to contribute to. You can find a list of the departments and team members at the Precursors Team page. If we like you, and think that you can be of help, we'll talk.

Q: Why more than one game mode?

A: That's my fault. I think that only by having more than one mode can you make a game as dynamic as what we want Precursors to be. Also, it's never been done before (near as we can tell).

Q: Doesn't that make it harder?

A: Yes, it does. We don't care, we think it's going to be awesome. If we find out we can't do it, we'll scrap the idea. Until then, we're keeping it.

Q: Does this game have a single-player mode?

A: Not currently. A single-player companion game is planned, but the MMORPG portion will be finished before that is. To help keep people from getting confused, the single-player game will be story driven, and won't work like the MMORPG. It will be more like Half-Life's single player mode.

Q: What libraries/tools are you using to develop this game?

A: We're using Crystal Space with CEL as our game engine, and using ODE as our physics engine. The game is compiled with GCC, and we don't use an IDE (we prefer using gvim). We're also using RakNet and CEGUI.

Q: What operating system(s) will this game support?

A: The game will support Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. It's possible we can support other OS's, if we have a machine to compile binaries on for that platform. (and given that platform is supported by Crystal Space; see this page to determine if your platform can be supported.)

There will be more questions coming as I have time, and issues arise.

--Chris
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:47:22 pm by whitelynx »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett