Author Topic: Difficult Decisions a long time in coming.  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Difficult Decisions a long time in coming.
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:45:37 pm »
Recently I have been making a good deal of decisions in my personal life that effect GNE. Basically, I am now out of school indefinitely and because of that I feel a strong urge to dedicate a good deal of time to GNE. This has meant a reevaluation of where we're headed as a company.   Some difficult decisions have been made, and it's now my job to break the bad news to everyone. (One of the reasons this post has been put off as long as it has is because of just how difficult these decisions have been for me.)

If you follow the news on the sites, you already know what I'm about to tell you. Precursors has been officially put on hold. What this means is that we're no longer focusing our main development efforts on it. We will be focusing on another project, Alluvion Storm. The reason for this is simple. Alluvion is a very small scope project, and should be completed in two years. This would allow for us to get a publisher, and push out our first game. From that point we would be able to hire the current development team, and start making some money. Then we would reassert our efforts on Precursors, and turn it into something to rival World of Warcraft.

I apologize to how how difficult this might be for some. If you would like to keep working on precursors, please do. I'd love to have enough people to start of a separate precursors development team. However, the main GNE team won't be doing more than helping out in their off time.

I would also like to link to Dave's wonderful post on his thoughts about this. (here

Thank you all for your continuing support,

Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Difficult Decisions a long time in coming.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:28:24 pm »
One thing you might consider: if computer science isn't floating your boat, and you want to run GNE as a business, try doing business school. I don't know how good Tech's is, but I'd reckon it's decent at least. And depending on how far you and Ginny are in your respective degrees, you'll probably both finish about the same time.

On topic: I know morgul has put a lot of thought into this - this wasn't a decision he came to lightly, and he was sure to discuss it with several people before making it official. I also know a number of y'all (recon and cara in particular) have continued attempting to work on Precursors without us in the interim. We greatly appreciate that, and want y'all to know that your efforts weren't in vain. If you want to continue working on Precursors, we will do our best to support you, even though our priorities are shifted. We'd also be more than happy to have you join the Alluvion development team, if you so choose. Regardless, thank you for your efforts, and we look forward to continuing to work together in the future!
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:43:03 pm »
Tech's is actually top-notch.  I know some people there, and it's very competitive.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:19:30 am »
Yeah, I thought it was, but I didn't know for sure, having never taken classes or really met anybody there.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal