Author Topic: Multi crewing?  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Recon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Multi crewing?
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:21:52 pm »
Multi crewing?

Just wanted to ask if you had thought about this at all. If you are implementing capitol ships it would seem likely that it would take more than one person to operate it at 100%. Like having a pilot and a several gunners.

System should
      a) Allow a person to switch from one crew position to another crew position
      b) Allow other players to join that crew and take a crew position

This would be a very fundamental part of coding any game and I think you should make sure and try address it early in you dev cycle. Later on it would likely require a large rewrite of core parts of the game.

Regards

PS, Precursors look very good at the moment and I look forward to seeing where you go with it. Downloading the source now and plan to have a good look at it. 

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
Re: Multi crewing?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:49:06 am »
Yeah, that's been part of the design from the beginning. At this point, I'm not entirely sure about how we're going to do this, or if it'll even make it into the final game, but it's something we're going to try to aim for.
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche

Offline Guardian

• Watching Over You
  • Captain
  • Watching over you.
    • View Profile
    • www.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:08 pm »
Sounds cool, like whenever a group decides to make a clan they have to buy a Capitol ship,  size of ship determines roughly how many people they want in their clan. Like clanmembers and such can dock at the end of the day and set their character to autopilot in one of the turrets  ::)
Peace is a lie, There is only Passion
Through Passion I gain Strength
Through Strength I gain Power
Through Power I gain Victory
Through Victory my chains are broken

The world of man must come to a quick, decisive end. Lest we waste our time on you any longer. ~The Fallen Angel
Falling from grace isn't nearly as painful as surviving the impact. ~The Tormented Angel

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:07:25 am »
... That's actually a very cool way of doing it, though allowing their character to rest would also be useful.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal