Author Topic: Character Saves  (Read 11467 times)

Neo

Character Saves
« on: April 02, 2006, 03:48:21 pm »
I'm likeing the way that everything is going so far... I even like the fact that it IS possible to completly loose your character.
However, A game where you die once a week isn't going to be fun. And as sure as there is day there will be some upper level people that will exist for the soul purpose of killing lower level people and forceing thier characters out of the game to have to be re-created and re-skilled. That's just not going to be fun...
So, WoW has made it to where you are invincible so long as you go back to your body... whoop de doo. Where is the fun in that?
Where is the medium going to be?
I've heard to good options.
1. Life pods
2. Gene Saves

In the first I suggest that if you are criticaly injured (sorta like in Battlefield 2) that you are sent to a 'blackbox' type of life pod (that is if you wanted to buy it...) It would be virtualy indestrucible, and would give emergency life support for 24 hours. At that point your life would rely oppon either an A.I. that patroles the more traficed areas of space (like the 'roads') once every 2-7 days. Or upon the kindness of a passerby / clanmember / race member.

In the 2nd suggestion you could in essince save your character at the level of current skill and then have him re-born in a gene lab. Obviosly this would take days out of gaming time (possibly a 3 days to a week) and would cause your character the loss of points in one catagory (possibly randomized) And seeing as how it's a brand new body the GP of the character would also be at half normal max replaceing normal max for a time generaly increasing as time went by to a normal max.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:46:51 am by Neo »

Offline Guardian

• Watching Over You
  • Captain
  • Watching over you.
    • View Profile
    • www.deviantart.com
Re: Character Saves
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 06:23:27 pm »
 ;D Thank you so much for bringing my ideas to light!  :'( It's so beautiful.
Peace is a lie, There is only Passion
Through Passion I gain Strength
Through Strength I gain Power
Through Power I gain Victory
Through Victory my chains are broken

The world of man must come to a quick, decisive end. Lest we waste our time on you any longer. ~The Fallen Angel
Falling from grace isn't nearly as painful as surviving the impact. ~The Tormented Angel

Offline Guardian

• Watching Over You
  • Captain
  • Watching over you.
    • View Profile
    • www.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 06:35:37 pm »
But instead of ruining their character's stats period, I was htinking more like anything they did after they dropped off their dna sample, is not saved, and they run the random risk of a screw up in the labs that may cause some... unwanted foul ups in the players skill. Thus increasing the need to stay alive.

The world of man must come to a quick, decisive end. Lest we waste our time on you any longer. ~The Fallen Angel
Falling from grace isn't nearly as painful as surviving the impact. ~The Tormented Angel

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 07:39:42 pm »
We've actually hashed this out on these forums before. (See this thread: http://forums.g33xnexus.com/index.php/topic,16.0.html )

To recap:

When Death happens, and it will, you have a few options, each depending on what you've chosen to do.

1) Clones
2) Restart your character with BP + .5 *(CP - BP) (BP = Base Point, CP = Character Points)

Let's go over each option:

Clones

Clones are a nessicary evil. They aren't liked much. Now, there's not real way to tell if you're a clone, but the people who killed you will know, and they might start telling people all about it. That would more than enough incentive to hire a hitman,or something to get revenge.

Now, cloning is a very ticky, expensive process. The companies who do it are very strict, charging you through the nose, and limiting the number of clones you could have. (They're legally bound to that.) Also, since the process is so difficult, you have to buy a level of assuarance in the clone's abilities. Basically, a cheap clone will only give you like 1/2 of your skills, while an expensive one will give you about 90% of what you had before.

Now, you will also have to outfit your clone, giving it what you want to have once you die. Also, it's recomended you stop off every few months, and updates your skills, and memories.

Restarting your Character

If you choose to restart you will get your character's Base Points (say, 200) plus 1/2 of the levels you've gained since you created the character. Here's an example. you make a 200 point character. You play him hard, and long. (no jokes.) You get him up to a 320 point character. Then, AssHat the HUN comes in, and blows you to space dust. You hadn't bought a clone. you now have the option of creating a character with: 200 + .5*(320 - 200) = 260 points. Sure, you lost half of those points you've gained, but you still have *something* to show for it.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:43:51 pm »
Would it not also be possible for certain characters (you know who, morgul) to force a focus save by speaking with the overseers?  Kinda like a Hero save in Fable.  All your stats are fine, but you have to restart before any missions and whatnot.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:18:33 am »
Actually, no. Either you A) your your focus to save yourself, or B) the Overseers, in thier divine wisdom have decided to revive you. think of it like an 'uber clone' where you come back with everything. (The Overseers, of course being the high level admin.... or Me.)

Now, Liz has a special thing where she is revived by Simon, if she dies. This isn't a special case: in reality, it's a focus, who's ability is to revive another character. Any dead character can be revived by a high admin, so basically this amounts to the same thing as B.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 07:59:28 am »
Fun.  And of course, mine has that fun little admin_god thing going on. 

Can't be killed.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 10:02:19 am »
Well... like I said before.. I don't want him to have god mode. Just his focus will have a crazy damage reduction bonus. He *can* be killed... Shove his head in a subspace engine. It will fuck him up good. (Also, any weapon (or technology) based on gravity can affect him.. since gravity is the fabric of space-time... and affects everything... Then again, who's gunna be walking around with gravity based weaponry.... Aside from the AI of a Rekonin Class ship, like the AR2.)

--Chris

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 11:17:11 am »
Heh - it's hard to put him in an engine when you can't touch him.  Also, remember, he has the ability to exist outside of the fabric of space for moments at a time - with the right focus and timing, even the gravity weapon wouldn't mess with him.

Neo

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 01:57:34 pm »
(The Overseers, of course being the high level admin.... or Me.)

Or maybe others who are involved early on? ::)

Offline Guardian

• Watching Over You
  • Captain
  • Watching over you.
    • View Profile
    • www.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 04:14:58 pm »
Still sounds like something that would piss of most gamers. (certaintly me)  ::)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 05:09:49 pm »
Still sounds like something that would piss of most gamers. (certaintly me)  ::)

Which part?

Keep something in mind.. Death isn't going to be like it is in CS, or even some other RP games. I want to limit dieing. Something that will help with  this is a vendetta system I'm thinking of, and bounty hunters. You kill someone for no reason, and bounty hunters will be all over you. Resist, and they'll kill you. Think your uber 320 point character can outrun and outgun ten 360 point characters? Umm... no. And they WILL come for you. (This could be the cause of a inter game war, which would be fun!

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 05:52:36 pm »
Yeah - as immersive as this game is, and with the realistic repurcussions for killing someone, I don't think the upper level admins or w/e will have to act.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 07:38:57 pm »
Right.

Offline Guardian

• Watching Over You
  • Captain
  • Watching over you.
    • View Profile
    • www.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 02:12:14 pm »
Riiight, so uh... When you decide that flying around and exploring areas of planets and harvesting isn't enough to entertain you, and you decide "hey, I wonder if I can use this hunter I spend millions on to kill someone" then you're going to be hunted down by npc's. so not only does the one who died get his character racked to hades but so does the guy who wanted to have fun in the game... ????  ::)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 02:53:39 pm »
Hold on a sec. Keep in mind, there's a WAR going on. People will be killing each other, and will be fighting quite a bit. What I'm talking about is illegally killing someone. Also, you could be a pirate, and on the run from the law anyway. The NPC bountyhunter thing is to prevent people form randomly killing news. There will areas that are more protected than others. If a newb goes into a non protected area, and gets killed... eh. Not high on my "things I care about" list. He should learn better.

Neo

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 06:46:33 am »
Morgul's "Things I care about list"

1. Forums stalking
2. Network crashing
3. Lack of girlfriend
4. Increasing want for guyfriends
5. Caenus  :o
6. Everything else
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:49:12 am by Neo »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 07:39:18 am »
Dear God . . .

Heh, I'd be slightly offended were it not for the REVEALING conversation during CS yesterday.  That was . . . enlightening.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 08:37:12 am »
Morgul's "Things I care about list"

1. Forums stalking
2. Network crashing
3. Lack of girlfriend
4. Increasing want for guyfriends
5. Caenus  :o
6. Everything else

Correction:

1. Writting
2. Precursors
3. Forums stalking
4. Network Crashing
5. Fact I have a girlfriend
6. Messing with Neo's mind
7. Confusing the hell out of everyone
8. Messing with Neo's mind
9. Everything Else

See? That's much better.

Oh, and Caenus... that was fun as hell!

--chris

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 09:01:53 am »
He he he he he he . . . we'll have to do that again.