Author Topic: Alpha Testing: Suggestions - Bugs - Errors  (Read 14544 times)

Neo

Alpha Testing: Suggestions - Bugs - Errors
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:06:11 pm »
Larger masses rotate as easily as smaller masses - slight contact with an object
can cause uncontroable spinning

Pressing the space bar causes 'fixme' problem

Passing through the lagest oject causes ship to warp from position

Unable to type in console

Mouse interface doesn't work

Tactical Movment Suggestion (Keyboard):
Elevation: Up and down numpad 8 and numpad 2
Sideslip: left and right numpad 4 and numpad 6
Yaw+Roll: upleft numpad 7
Yaw+Roll: upright numpad 9
Yaw+Roll: downleft numpad 1
Yaw+Roll: downright numpad 3
Stop in all dirrections: Numbpad 0
Stop in all dirrections but forward and back: numpad 5
Accellerate Forward: numpad +
Accellerate Backward: numbpad Enter
Plasma: Space Bar

<!- This leaves the left side of the keyboard free for hotkeys and typeing -!>

Free Flight Controles (Keyboard):
Accelerate: w and s
Roll: A and D
Sideslip: q and e
Elivation: Page up and Page Down
Pitch: Up and Down Arrow Keys
Yaw: Left and Right Arrow Keys
Slow All Dirrections: CapsLock (This way you come to full stop when not pressing

keys)
Slow except forward and back: Space Bar

<!- This allows for an easyer of movement without cramping hands -!>

Toggle Between Tactical and Free Flight: Numlock

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
Re: Alpha Testing: Suggestions - Bugs - Errors
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:28:10 pm »
In windows the fullscreen option causes the app to crash.  But, anyways, progress is looking good :).

Some other things I am noticing:

-asteroids don't always block out light totally...sometimes the light goes through or around them

-some objects seem to scale down after collisions sometimes
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:36:33 pm by ryguy_1617 »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:22:59 pm »
I noticed the loss of mouse control too.  The mouse sensitivity on the menu is a little . . . goofy. 

If we had a universe framework for point of reference, it'd be cool - as it is, I have no way of telling whether I'm spinning out of control or facing away from the sun.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:19:51 pm »
Ok, let me respond with some explaination of some of those.

#1: Mouselook is disabled. We did that because that was seriously the oldest code in the game, and once they changed the venty system in CS, we've not had time to test it, or to make it work the way we want it. It shouldn't take too much to put it back in, but now that we have a menu, we need to turn it off in the menu, but on in the game. Simple sounding? Yes, but it's something we've not done yet. It's going in the next release, along with joystick support.

The fullscreen bug was untested. We need to sit down with the CS people and fix that.

The rotation bug is fucking weird. We've got no clue why the asteroid physics is all messed up. We're going to investigate that soon. It messed with my head.

Also, keybinding is coming soon. We'll look into putting your key suggesting into a couple of keymap files. (technically, if you edit the keys file you can change the keys however you want right now.)

The rest is good. keep it coming!
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:33:19 pm »
Ok, let me respond with some explaination of some of those.
 It's going in the next release, along with joystick support.

Nice: good thing I just bought a joystick ;).

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:29:51 pm »
Also, here are some other things:

-if you fly towards the sun too much, your ship becomes totally out of control and inverted.

-when I minimized the app to write this, all of the asteroids and the other floating ship disappeared and the ship froze in one spot and violently shakes--if you try to change direction, the screen goes black.

-maybe make the ship bounce around from the center position in the HUD a bit upon collisions to better simulate them...otherwise it looks more like everything else is the only thing that is spinning.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:56:12 pm by ryguy_1617 »

Neo

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:16:31 pm »
Simmiler Error:
When moving back from the center of the universe the ship graphic starts to glich and dissapears if you look away from the center
When re-aproaching from the outer edge of the galxy ship will bounce off of astroyed, changing the ships position but not the astroyed.
Pssibly due to gravity the objects tent to want to stick together rahter than bounce off eachother. (but you're already looking into astroyed phisics)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:45 pm »
The rotation bug is fucking weird. We've got no clue why the asteroid physics is all messed up. We're going to investigate that soon. It messed with my head.

If you want any help working out the mathematics of the rotation . . . I AM a mathematics major after all . . .

;D

Also, in response to one of ry_guy's suggestions, if you're gonna have a locked view like that, you need to have it IN cockpit, otherwise we might see about having a touch of camera buoyancy when you have a 3rd person view of the ship.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 10:18:40 pm by Caenus »
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 01:05:20 am »
[...]If you want any help working out the mathematics of the rotation . . . I AM a mathematics major after all . . . [...]

Well, the physics should all be there. I might want your help deciding on masses, and other appropriate numbers for them, and then making sure the simulation feels right. However,the current problem appears to be that they are not allowed to translate. Their center position is fixed, and all the impacts they recieve are simply moment, that cause the rotation.

Also, in response to one of ry_guy's suggestions, if you're gonna have a locked view like that, you need to have it IN cockpit, otherwise we might see about having a touch of camera buoyancy when you have a 3rd person view of the ship.

Currently, the camera simply isn't coded to support a 'springy' look. This isn't by design.. it's just the way it is. I'll see about getting 'springy' camera stuff put into it. There's a new camera system in CEL (or they're working on it) anyway, so we might want to wait for it to be finished, so we can use that isntead. I'll talk to whitelynx about it.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 02:45:14 pm »
Also, here is something I just found out...this happened when I pressed the [E] key, to barrel-roll to the right:

1- This ship started to rapidly spin when the [E] key was pressed...

2- Sorry, bad screenie, but it took me forever to even get this good of an angle; well, when the [E] key was pressed, these two large asteroids locked together at this point...and started shaking quite a bit.

Neo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:39:03 am »
Yes, E and Q spin the ship... Way to go ryguy...

~Reynard

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 02:16:41 pm »
erm...if you read the number labelings on the screenie, and match them up to the numbers beside the text, you would see I am not talking about the main ship: way to go reynard :P

Finally, I get to do this ;):
*gives Reynard a hat

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:48:14 pm by ryguy_1617 »

Neo

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:35:37 pm »
Okay, first off, you have two numbers on your post, and a letter and a number on the screenshot.

2nd Did you IMPACT the astroyed or did it do it on it's own? If you strike and astroyed it will rotate, as will the ship (pair of pliers)

Gives Ryguy his Hat. GG No RE

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:34:00 pm »
Nice try.  Caenus is the only one who can give hats (I'm the recruiting officer for DSC).  However, if you wanna smack him, go for it. 

Offline Rosencrantz

• Gray Haired
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 11:47:35 pm »
[...]If you want any help working out the mathematics of the rotation . . . I AM a mathematics major after all . . . [...]

Well, the physics should all be there. I might want your help deciding on masses, and other appropriate numbers for them, and then making sure the simulation feels right. However,the current problem appears to be that they are not allowed to translate. Their center position is fixed, and all the impacts they recieve are simply moment, that cause the rotation.

Currently, the camera simply isn't coded to support a 'springy' look. This isn't by design.. it's just the way it is. I'll see about getting 'springy' camera stuff put into it. There's a new camera system in CEL (or they're working on it) anyway, so we might want to wait for it to be finished, so we can use that isntead. I'll talk to whitelynx about it.

I'm also able to help out with any of the asteroid physics stuff as well. The math is easy to check, but sometimes the physics gets missed(or simplified incorrectly, or whatever). ;)

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 05:34:01 am »
Okay, first off, you have two numbers on your post, and a letter and a number on the screenshot.

2nd Did you IMPACT the astroyed or did it do it on it's own? If you strike and astroyed it will rotate, as will the ship (pair of pliers)

Gives Ryguy his Hat. GG No RE

Well, no.   That 'letter' is indeed a 2.  Sorry if I write badly with a mouse :P.  And, negative, I didn't strike the asteroid, only approached it.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 08:12:05 am »
[...]And, negative, I didn't strike the asteroid, only approached it.[...]

I've never seen that without colliding with them first. On my copy the will not move unless you hit them.

--Chris

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 02:13:52 pm »
well, I collided at first, a while before, but they were just spinning, but when I hit [E], they moved towards each other and stick together at point #2 {as marked on my pic}.

Neo

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 01:29:40 pm »
Ryguy, I think you may be missreading that 'bug' I know the astroyeds stick together, but that seems to be random rather than by your ships actions. I've seen them stick without me rotating.

~Reynard

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 01:54:55 pm »
Well, idk.  But, this was the case twice when I started up the app...maybe other actions I did lead up to it. :-/.