Author Topic: Interaction between the book and the game?  (Read 5260 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Interaction between the book and the game?
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:00:30 pm »
morgul, since you're writing a book that takes place in the same universe as the game, how much of a presence will those characters from the book have in the game? Will they be hero NPC characters, or characters controlled by admins, or what?

Just something I'm curious about.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 06:09:39 pm »
Well, I've given this a good deal of though. The main character, Capt. David Case, will be (one of) my admin characters. He, and therest of the main characters in the story will have 'Legendary' Status. (just means they're special, and didn't start out with the basics like normal characters... Oh, and that they're well known.)

As for how much interaction... Well, I plan on running through the timeline of my story over a course of time. I will play my character, and the other admins can opt to be any of the others... and I would like to roleplay those characters. Doesn't have to be like the book, but same universe, following the same general idea, atleast initially.

So, yes, there will be a lot of interaction with the book characters. The story from the book is basically optional.. however it's the same situation.... also, I imagine that I could have a 'Story' server, and a 'casual play' server... where I'm david case, running around, being David Case. No ties to the book at all.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 06:12:41 pm »
Could it be possible, though, to have characters that are of that same Legend status that the admins play, but are not part of the book? Presuming I get to be an admin, I have a character kinda already picked out. If there's someone in the book that's similar, then I'll play as that character; however, if not, then I would like to be able to play as that Legendary character.

What do you think? Would that be messing with the game universe too much?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 06:19:37 pm »
Not at all! Legendary does not mean "In the Book." However, if there's some neat characters in the game, I may turn them into book characters. (I plan on writting several stories in this universe. Might just follow a week of gameplay :-P.)

Also Legenday != admin. Players can earn a Legendary Character (or get thier character turned into one. People who play Grey Characters will have to have a Legendary Character.... Seeing as how a Grey is one. NorAellians might be too. Not sure.)

So, yeah, you can have whomever you want and a Legendary Character.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 01:42:30 pm »
So what would one do to become a Legendary character? Play a long time, or progress in the game? But since the game is insanely non-linear (even for an MMORPG), how do we measure "progress"?
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline topher

• Developers
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 09:39:43 pm »
progress should be defined in many different ways.  A smuggler who is damn good at evading people and places, top 1% of the galaxy is definetly legendary.  Leader of the largest player guild in the galaxy, also Legendary.  So the basic idea would have to involve character interaction with the world, not just levels, skills, kills, etc.

If I start the game 6 months after release I should be able, with enough dedication, become legendary before the average joe who signed up day one.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 02:53:15 pm »
Quote from: "topher"
progress should be defined in many different ways.  A smuggler who is damn good at evading people and places, top 1% of the galaxy is definetly legendary.  Leader of the largest player guild in the galaxy, also Legendary.  So the basic idea would have to involve character interaction with the world, not just levels, skills, kills, etc.

If I start the game 6 months after release I should be able, with enough dedication, become legendary before the average joe who signed up day one.

Exactly. It's not based on skills, or anything like that, it's based on roleplaying, and how *good* you are. Put another way: If it would make you Legendary in real life, it better make you Legendary in the game.

--Chris

Offline topher

• Developers
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 02:54:40 pm »
And anyone who pwns morgul in game gets Legendary status too, by my decree =D

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 03:51:16 pm »
Fine, I'll agree to that. Bring it own, you n00b l4m3rz!!!!!!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Oh, damn. :-D I can't wait for networking!

****morgul kicks whitelynx, telling him to code faster!

--Chris

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 05:45:22 pm »
So what special benefits will being "Legendary" confer? And how does one officially attain to the Legendary status?

I like the idea of having it be merit-based - that's going to be the best way to do it. But do we do it something like "majority vote of current Legendary members", or what?
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 07:37:58 am »
Well, anyone who has a Legendary character will have access to some things that most people don't. The Player will be able to then make Sooni, or other 'Restricted' Character, and depending on how good this person is at roleplaying.. we might just give them acess to a Grey character. They also would have a few other benefits (like maybe some 'Legendary only' battles with the Dev Team... dunno.) However, We *may* have some sort of price break for them, as well. We'd need to define the benefits (aside form access to other races) but mostly it's a goal, like reaching level 40. Anyone running around with a Legendary Character will get noticed. (Hopefully)

Now, as to how they become one, that's pretty easy. They will have to have some base requirements (make sure they've been playing for a while and putt a good deal of time into thier character. Also, they will need to have a backstory for it (some sort of history.. not like a 'stry' or anything....) and they will need to have *done* something Legendary... Or of note. Then, they need to recommended by an admin. The rest of the admin, or as many as possible will vote. Then a message on the forums will be posted, stating the reasons for making the character Legendary,. If no one has a good reason after a few days, it goes through. (Some variation on this is what I want. I know this method sounds kinda long, and painful...)

--Chris

Offline topher

• Developers
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 08:10:06 am »
A concern I have is that say I put the time into becoming a legenday character and then decide to cash out.  I sell my account on ebay and now some complete cancer to the game as all of these perks.  All MMORPGS have selling of items and accounts, we have to minimize the effects.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 10:18:14 am »
Well, that's simple. If you sell your acount, you've breached your contract with us, or something to that effect. your characters will be killed in game, and your entire account deleted. I figure we'll get to know Legendary characters pretty well, as there will only be a small number... It should be obvious. And, should a legendary become a cancer to the game, they will loose that status. They're going to be held to a higher standard, and if they don't perdorm, they will have those priveldges revoked. I have zero tolerance for this kind of thing.

--Chris