G33X Nexus Entertainment > General Announcements

The Forums are back!

(1/3) > >>

Morgul:
It has been six years since these forums have been online. The latest post was form March, 2011. I don't even remember why they went offline, but they did and eventually they disappeared for good. Or so I thought, since I didn't have a single backup of them.

However...

Thanks to Mike Burk (and several hours of my time doing weird arcane things with a CentOS vm from 2012, cpanel, three dockers, and a few hundred lines of node.js code) I was able to get a backup of the forums migrated to the latest SMF, and the latest mysql. Registration's (temporarily) disabled, but posts and everything should work.

Where do we go from here?

There's a lot of just ancient posts and topics on this board. I mean, it's all ancient, since it hasn't been live for 6 years. But most of the projects and other things have been put on the dusty shelf, or imploded.

But let's be honest, most of us don't remember the game this forums was born around. We remember the Mafia games, the Wars, the community we built here. This was where a lot of us met, and made friendships that lasted years.

And some that, sadly, ended far too soon.

My intention is to open these back up to registration, and get them into a more stable, maintainable state. I want to build a community again, and breath some more life into these old, dusty boards. But a community of one is not a community. I'm announcing this topic, with the hopes that some of you still have those emails (lord knows, some of us never change), see the message, and decide to come back, even if just to laugh at our much younger selves.

Then, we (as a community) need to decide what we want to do with these. Archive all the old stuff, and try to make some shiny new boards and move on? Keep these forums in an archived state, and disable posting? Start over from scratch with new software, new posts, and a new mission?

Whatever we decide; my intention is to keep these forums running indefinitely. There's meaning in that for me, so I'll gladly keep spending the time required to keep them up.

--Chris

Noonien:
Yay. 😁

Morgul:

--- Quote from: Noonien on November 13, 2017, 01:23:56 pm ---Yay. 😁

--- End quote ---

There's still a lot of work to do dusting everything off, (like building a docker image that isn't going to fall over if I try to update it, setting up database backups, etc) and then building a nice theme that isn't half broken, but I'm kinda really excited about doing it.

I really should be working right now... but... :effort:

contingencyplan:
I can confirm that the forgotten password functionality is working as intended. :P

Morgul:
Sweet! That's good!

I just had an odd fight with logging in, had to add ?theme=1 to the url to get logged back in. Seems some of the themes are more broken than others... I really need to get on this whole make a new theme thing... since I think the default SMF theme is ugly as hell..

Yaaay, old software! :suicide:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version