Author Topic: Torrential rains in the middle of . . . West Texas?  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Torrential rains in the middle of . . . West Texas?
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »
Yeah, last night it got so bad with the flooding that the mayor declared a state of emergency.  This morning, the rain stopped, and the roads are generally clear - however much of the city is still flooded.

Texas Tech University (my alma mater) is one place in this city that has ABSOLUTELY NO DRAINAGE SYSTEM.  I remember walking to class once after only an hour of rain and having to wade through 1.5 ft deep water.

Here are some pictures of the football field taken this morning.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Torrential rains in the middle of . . . West Texas?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:55:06 pm »
Photoshopped.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
 :jerkbag:
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:23:54 pm »
Yup. For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, I showed these pics to a friend of mine yesterday. His immediate response was to say "those are photoshopped." We argue back and forth about it, but he maintains that if it was a flood, then you wouldn't be able to see the football field under the water, due to the silt and dirt that gets kicked up. So I pointed him to xkcd. Then I called Cae and said "hey, if you're like really bored, mind going and taking some pictures just so I can tell this guy he's full of shit?"

He wouldn't do it though. :(
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:29:47 pm »
I actually did get over there later, and it was in the process of being pumped out.  Didn't bother with a picture.  Sorry!