Author Topic: Introduction Thread: New users, please post here!  (Read 209424 times)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Introduction Thread: New users, please post here!
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2006, 12:16:50 am »
John rules (even if he has no grasp of general customer service).  :P

he he he

Just teasing dude.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Xentither

• Concept Artist
  • Ensign
  • mrrrrrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2006, 03:09:51 am »
Hey, I have excelent customer service abilities, this doesn't mean I allow stupidity to pass without the most subtle of admonishments. My wrath against the lazy is unmerciful.

Yes, I made this....

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2006, 10:05:13 am »
True.  People are assholes.  And I almost assaulted that sixteen year old emo jackass.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Recon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2006, 11:46:17 am »
   Well , been hanging around you site and decided that i should introduce myself.
I'm a 34 year old guy living in London and have been wanting to try create a 3d game myself for some time.So I fired up my copy of firefox and started checking out CS.

Looked at the related projects and found precursor which seemed very much like the game I wanted to create, it's at an early stage and seem to have being making steady progress.

While I have experience programming its mostly database and VB/PHP,while I am not a total stranger to C++ I have little experience programming with it. That's likely to change as I start getting into CS.

Currently I have precursors/Cel/CS and blender loaded and working.I am doing the tutorials, built my own walktest app from the doc's and have moved on to a little bit of modelling with Blender. After I get more of the basics down I plan to have a closer look at precursor and see if I can be any help. Probably be a while before I get up to speed but am making good progress.

My plan at the moment is to get basic modelling down ( read ugly ships ) and then to get more into CS, My current goal is to create a small trader/explorer type ship with several seperate weapons(read crew positions), and some form of damage system. Not going to try get any multilayer functionality as i think that above is plenty to work on to start.

Anyway,I will be in and out of the forums regularly to seem how you are getting along.

Regards

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2006, 04:26:59 pm »
Since it's been a while since I've posted in this thread, let me extend a warm welcome to the following people:

Trendykill: I echo Caenus's BDT. Good to see you here! (How'd the LDay at Dawn's go? Sorry I didn't make it...)
Xentither: Your insanity impresses me. Welcome to the team, and looking forward to seeing your work!
Recon: Awesome to have interest from another programmer; I know you'll fit in well. And a forum member from London = fricking cool, IMO.

Welcome to all of you!
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Amica

• Concept Artist
  • Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2006, 12:30:26 pm »
Hey, I'm Amy.  I like to paint, and I'm going to collaborate with John on some of the artwork.  I also know Keith (hi Keith)

I was a physics major for a while with a concentration in astronomy (I had no life), so I like space related things.  If you need information or ideas for star or planetary systems I can definitely help.

Other than that I like art, sci-fi, and occupying myself so I'll be around - hi everyone  :)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2006, 01:34:36 pm »
Hi Amy.

Oh, hey, as soon as I get off my ass and get productive, I'll send you specs on the damphyr if you feel like painting.

Offline Amica

• Concept Artist
  • Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2006, 02:48:26 pm »
Always - its been too damn long since I've done anything like this.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2006, 09:01:54 pm »
Hey Amy! Welcome!

Just a note: we're going to need to design litterally hundrewds of planetary systems... and the problem is, we don't know how to (from a code stand point) handle the shear sizes we're talking about. Having one or two 'toy' systems would be truely excellent, and might get us off our collective asses, and make a more interesting map... :-p. So, I guess I'll post some general ideas I have for some star systems, and let you have some fun with 'em, eh?
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

ignoramous

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2006, 05:44:58 am »
Name's Ed.

I heard about this place from Contingencyplan, but I also know Amy and John.

I just dropped out of grad school for computer science.  It was no longer fun for me. 

I'm here to hang out, maybe contribute ideas, watch and participate. 

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2006, 11:29:39 am »
Welcome aboard. I also dropped out of college (was CS too.) I did it for almost the exact same reasons. Feel free to comment, chill, or even do some work on something you think will be fun. :)
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Amica

• Concept Artist
  • Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »
Ed!  You're here!   ;D  Hi

MissTake1024

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2008, 09:32:37 pm »
Hey!
I'm Sheena - Dave's fiance...
I like long walks on the beach and... I just found five dollars? :toot:

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2008, 10:28:55 pm »
Yaaay! We welcome the $5. (It can stay... you.... well, I guess you can stay too, but only if you find another $5 to share. :-p)

MissTake1024

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:59 pm »
*shares another five dollars*
Guess I'm here to stay =]

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2008, 10:40:25 pm »
And it only cost you your soul... erm... $10. Well, 5 since you found the other five.

MissTake1024

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2008, 11:07:09 pm »
Pshya, because my soul is totally worth ten dolla.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2008, 11:20:53 pm »
I was being nice, ok?

MissTake1024

« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2008, 11:22:02 pm »
 :crazy:

Offline PieceMaker

• GN:EF Subcommander
  • Captain
  • I'm behind you. No really, look... Haha...shmuck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2008, 08:57:40 pm »
You know, if you turn your head to the side, it looks like he's giving the finger. Is there an implied message there?
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker