Author Topic: The Dark Knight + The Watchmen trailer!  (Read 6036 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
The Dark Knight + The Watchmen trailer!
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:40:07 am »
The Dark Knight was absolutely awesome - go see it, asap. The Joker and his reasoning actually make sense by the end (at least to me - that's probably not healthy). Good back-and-forths regarding heroism, right vs wrong, good vs evil, nature of humanity, things like that. I expect I'll be seeing it a second time in theaters, and owning it when it hits DVD. More discussion will ensue when more people have seen it.

To help, no there's nothing after the credits. We waited.

However, you absolutely WILL want to catch the previews, just for the Watchmen trailer. Trust me, Youtube cannot do it justice. Also, 1000 karma and a little tag or something for the first person to give me the full (from the graphic novel / comic book) version of the quote at the end, as well as who says it.

For the other 99% of you who haven't read it, GO GET IT. It's like $20 at Borders (yes, the full thing), $14 or so on Amazon. It's an absolutely fantastic read - each character has tons of depth, the story's interesting and has a helluva twist at the end (so don't turn to the back when thumbing through it), and the discussion between _____________ and Dr. Malcom is a very poignant examination of the morality of humanity in general (and thus makes a good follow-up to TDK).

"Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in the night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever, and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion, bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us."

I'm also taking the trailer and gonna try to make avatars out of the characters. First come first serve if you have a favorite character / one you like, but you have to be able to tell me who it is (Wikipedia is sufficient for that one - bonus if you can explain why you like them). I'm gonna have to watch the trailer a few more times, but I have two in mind myself, so we'll see. I might can also make avatars directly from the comic book itself, if you prefer.

e: And since I know y'all are wondering, yes, I had to get some moist towlettes and go to the bathroom for a few minutes after the trailer. The movie didn't quite hit me with the same rush, so I was fine going home. The movie has its own, but much more subtle, appeal - you watch it and come away with a very satisfied feeling, like the feel of a cigarette after really good sex.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:44:19 am by contingencyplan »
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: The Dark Knight + The Watchmen trailer!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:51:36 am »
yes, I had to get some moist towlettes and go to the bathroom for a few minutes after the trailer.

Fanboy sign #23: coming in one's shorts at a movie trailer.

I'll be throwing out a review of the movie from a cinematic standpoint this weekend. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:20:03 am »
Also, when will people learn that the best place to get good quality trailers is Apple.com?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/high.html
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:35:43 am »
Also, when will people learn that the best place to get good quality trailers is Apple.com?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/high.html

Apple's failed to load for me several times in the past. Youtube works, and I can favorite the vids. That's why.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:27 pm »
Also, 1000 karma and a little tag or something for the first person to give me the full (from the graphic novel / comic book) version of the quote at the end, as well as who says it.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'save us!' and I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'"

Rorschach's Journal, October 12th, 1985.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:12:56 pm »
Also, 1000 karma and a little tag or something for the first person to give me the full (from the graphic novel / comic book) version of the quote at the end, as well as who says it.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'save us!' and I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'"

Rorschach's Journal, October 12th, 1985.

Okay, since I know you don't have the book (which kinda defeats the whole purpose of this), it's your turn: question from the book or from the trailer, and not something that can easily be googled (i.e., correct answer found in the first page of google results).
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:12 pm »
Uh . . . I DO have the book, dude.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 02:12:27 pm »
Alright, a question:  The newspaper says "Hero Retires".  What does said hero do upon retirement?

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:12:59 pm »
Uh . . . I DO have the book, dude.

Well then it should be easy then! :-D
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:13 pm »
Just saw the movie.  Wow was that deep.  Gimme a day to let it sink in, and I'll have an overall review ready sometime this weekend.