Author Topic: Back for Nexus  (Read 5115 times)

CK the Fat

Back for Nexus
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:46 am »
I received Mogul's email and decided to try returning.  I wrote a few short ambient pieces back when this project was younger, if you still remember.  I am now a Computer Science and Engineering student so with some more experience I may be able to help with coding, though right now I'm only familiar with a little bit of Java and Resolve (a language similar to C++ used for Ohio State University students.)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: Back for Nexus
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:07:30 pm »
:-D Glad to have you coming back! I work today, so I don't have all that much time to write a good welcome post, but welcome! We do have need of developers (C++ is what we'll be using mostly), but someone who can do sound is a boon too. I'll get whitelynx in contact with you, and have him organize everyone.

Again, welcome!

--chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:23:44 pm »
This counts as me getting in contact with you.  :-p

We can definitely use the help with the programming... the bad news is that 95% of the early coding is going to be C++, and the remainder will be Python... later on in the project we'll be doing more Python and less C++, but that won't happen for quite some time.

First thing we're going to need to do is get you some accounts made for Trac and the GNE Google Apps system. PM me with your full name, and I can get stuff set up for you.
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche

CK the Fat

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:31:08 am »
Well, at this point I'm not exactly sure how much use I could be with coding; Resolve is basically C++ with half its operations taken out so we have to program in everything the long way.  I can still take a look at the Trac and GNE and try to figure it out on my free time, however.

My name is Ethan Perry Klein.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:35:51 pm »
Well, at this point I'm not exactly sure how much use I could be with coding; Resolve is basically C++ with half its operations taken out so we have to program in everything the long way.  I can still take a look at the Trac and GNE and try to figure it out on my free time, however.

My name is Ethan Perry Klein.

* contingencyplan starts search for SSN
:lol:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:39:13 pm »
*Caenus smacks contingencyplan because he knows that Caenus is more likely to find it*
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:55:04 pm »
*Caenus smacks contingencyplan because he knows that Caenus is more likely to find it*

Where did I say that you, or anyone else, is not perfectly capable of finding it as well, much less make any comparisons of my ability with anyone else's? I only made a single absolute statement about my intentions to perform an action. So why, good sir, are you so egotistical as to infer that I was making some comparison with your ability, and thus feel the need to state that your ability to find the piece of data in question far outperforms mine?

O SNAP
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:00:32 pm »
Also, CK: Why are they using a blunted version of C++? If they're afraid of you blowing your leg off, then they should use a language like Java, C#, or Python, that prevents you from doing so, rather than a castrated version of a language in heavy use, since that sets up bad patterns for solving problems that may be alleviated by some of the other features of the language?
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:37:46 pm »
Also, CK: Why are they using a blunted version of C++? If they're afraid of you blowing your leg off, then they should use a language like Java, C#, or Python, that prevents you from doing so, rather than a castrated version of a language in heavy use, since that sets up bad patterns for solving problems that may be alleviated by some of the other features of the language?

^ The above is a perfect example of why he's the resident Ivory Tower Theorist.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

CK the Fat

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:59:51 pm »
Social Security number?  Sure, it 555-55-5555-5.  Easy to remember!

"Also, CK: Why are they using a blunted version of C++? If they're afraid of you blowing your leg off, then they should use a language like Java, C#, or Python, that prevents you from doing so, rather than a castrated version of a language in heavy use, since that sets up bad patterns for solving problems that may be alleviated by some of the other features of the language?"

It's a "castrated" version so we can understand the little inner working components of the language and programming in general... which isn't all that practical at this stage, because I'm quite positive every program I've written in the Resolve series could have been done with just a few simple calls.  That's just the way the OSU guys seem to like to teach... I am in computer science and engineering, but even the normal computer science major has mostly the same kind of classes I'm in now.