Author Topic: Ideas for a Character Generator...  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Ideas for a Character Generator...
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:41:47 am »
Here's a youtube video of a program called Quidam which edits stock models and lets you create new characters. Well, I saw these videos of it and I think that we want to do something kinda like this for the Character Generator. Check out the video, and the others listed in the side. Think we can do something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZyQC9JCgx8
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Ideas for a Character Generator...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:55:14 am »
That's pretty awesome, but here's a question: if that generates a new character MODEL for each player, won't that take a lot of computing power to have a different model for each player?  As opposed to a set number of models and different skins?
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:55:53 am »
I haven't watched the vid yet, admittedly, but I'd say no, it shouldn't, so long as we have some limitation on the size and complexity of the character models. then it wouldn't make any real difference whether we're displaying 10 characters that all fit a certain template, or 10 different characters from 10 different models.

The main thing is size and storage space - we have to store those models somewhere, and having each player be able to create their own model would require a massive amount of storage space on the client computer. Perhaps some sort of model life scheme or something, where the model is automatically deleted after it hasn't been encountered in a certain period of time.

Alternately, we could do something like Spore, and have procedurally generated models. That would make it very easy to store and transmit the models, since the actual graphic model is generated client-side. I'll have to watch the vid to see whether that's possible from the program or not, though. And I got enough shit up in the air right now. :(
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:39:15 pm »
Well, the idea is to emulate this program, not use it. I would think that a procedural model baed system would work the best by far. Still, I would think that we could easily store some sort of delta file from a stok model. This way we just apply the delta to the base, and generate their model, and store it client side. (The delta would be stored server side).
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 03:06:06 pm »
The question of storing models client-side basically feeds into the whole caching idea, and I'm pretty sure CS has at least basic facilities for that... on the other hand, it could probably use some optimization for use in an MMO.
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche