Author Topic: CS/CEL Revisions  (Read 3139 times)

Offline cara

• Cadet
  • I won the internet!
    • View Profile
CS/CEL Revisions
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:52:49 pm »
Will there be a standard CS/CEL Revision that will be used for this game because I'm pretty sure the constant updates (which are sometimes borked) will slow down development on the game.

cara

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: CS/CEL Revisions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:48:30 pm »
Yeah, I'm coming around to Recon's opinion - the constant updating is bad. I'm not for locking down to one revision and staying with it FOREVAH, but we should work "update to the latest CS rev" into the milestones, and only do it when we know the current code base works; this way, we can track down issues related to updating CS without having them clutter up the other "durr, forgot to increment the pointer" kinda bugs.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
Re: CS/CEL Revisions
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 02:59:32 pm »
I'm actually thinking that this would be a great use for branching; have a branch that follows the head CS and CEL revisions, but keep trunk synced to a specific revision; then, when we want to upgrade to a given CS/CEL revision, just merge in the branch changes up until that point. My reason for this is that I generally need the latest CS/CEL revisions because I do development on them as well, and I hate having 2 checkouts if I can help it. (CS is huge)
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche