Author Topic: Antipersonnel Landmines...  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Antipersonnel Landmines...
« on: February 10, 2007, 04:18:48 pm »
So, yeah, I'm ordering some free samples of ARM processors to play with for the idea of making a tablet PC of my own. Well, brilliant me decided to go and read the terms of use for the free samples. The screenshot below had not been altered in any way. Just read...
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Antipersonnel Landmines...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:00:50 am »
Is this a problem amongst engineers?  Using the wrong parts in incendiary devices?  I mean c'mon . . . everyone knows that you should always use top of the line equipment when designing shit like that.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 05:47:03 pm »
Kaboom.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:22:21 am »
...I really don't know, or understand why that clause is there. Perhaps it's a "Let's see who reads this damn thing" inside joke? I don't know.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:01 am »
That's probably what it is because as a rule almost no one reads the agreements. Are they all as funny as this one?
~Erica~

"if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:39 pm »
Actually it's probably closer related to stupid warning labels - chances are, someone did this and bitched at them.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:48:35 pm »
Personally, I'd bet it's some law that they have to abide by. Antipersonnel landmines strike me as something reserved specifically for the military, which means that civillians are disallowed from manufacturing them. Since this is a consumer item (rather than something developed for the military), the chip is disallowed in use for such military items. $10 says they have a version, or similar product, or something related to this chip that the military uses in landmines.

Either that, or the manufacturer is committed to peace or somesuch, and disallow the use of their products in military use.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:10 am »
That sounds probable!
~Erica~

"if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"