Author Topic: New Grey Design  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
New Grey Design
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:56:18 pm »
Cory did a new Grey design... And I'm also including the sketch of the possible heads he'd done. Interesting stuff, me thinks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:00:32 pm by morgul »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: New Grey Design
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:36:14 am »
I vote the top head of the 3. It's more what I think of when I hear "Grey." The two arms thing is interesting.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:48 am »
From an anatomical standpoint, I think both arms should retain the rotational functionality that humans have (the whole 2:1 bone structure).  As such, this would cause the "at rest" position for the hands to be facing the thigh, not each other.  Sure they still CAN face each other, but I think it'd be better if they were allowed multiple positions.  I mean, imagine a grey holding the upper hand flat - holding something out - and the lower hand turns flat in the other direction and picks something off the table.  Facing each other, countering each other, this would give you a wide range of expressive functions when it comes to orientation of the hands. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:19:24 am »
Interesting. I'll mention it to Cory, and see what he thinks. He just left for class...
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Neo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:50:27 pm »
:thumbs up:
* Reynard steals art

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:15:44 am »
In talking about this with Cory, he said his idea was that the Grey lived on a planet with quite a bit of steep, sharp rocks. He thinks that having the 'at rest' position being facing each other, it would be more natural since they would typically be using their arms to push off one another, giving an advantage to climbing. He does agree that the arms should rotate... and personally I think that it doesn't matter overly much which 'at rest' position we choose.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:54:07 pm »
What exactly are the mechanics of "push off one another"?  It doesn't make sense anatomically to me.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.