Author Topic: A C++ Sockets library  (Read 5791 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
A C++ Sockets library
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:21:42 pm »
Found this link while searching for stuff related to my OS project. No, not doing networking - doing an "at" command. I'm glad you can't see the code I'm writing; I'm writing it in the "I just want to fricking get done with this project" style, so it's fugly as sin that's been washed in a public toilet that's been stopped up for 3 months.

Anyways. It's a C++ Socket's library. We might (perhaps?) consider switching over to this, though I don't know yet.

No, I haven't looked at it at all - I'm worrying about finishing this OS project tonight for right now, then doing some work on the pseudocode->C generator. But I'm "publically" bookmarking the link for later perusal. Feel free to peruse it to your hearts' content in the meantime.

http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Rosencrantz

• Gray Haired
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A C++ Sockets library
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:53:01 pm »
It looks pretty straightforward to use. The documentation is pretty sparse, but the tutorials aren't too bad. Not sure if it does everything we need it to do or not (specifically RUDP).

EDIT: Also, if I have time this weekend I might try to figure out how the networking plugin works and take a swing at giving this a quick test run on kashmir.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:04:03 pm »
I've done a bit of poking around. The major problem: library's licensed GPL.

:-\
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Rosencrantz

• Gray Haired
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:39:47 pm »
I've done a bit of poking around. The major problem: library's licensed GPL.

:-\

Kind of, there is an alternate license agreement but you have to pay for it.
http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/license.html

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:42:25 pm by Rosencrantz »

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:02:48 pm »
Right. And that's one of the main problems with Raknet, Zoidcom, etc. - we don't have the money to pay for that right now.

Morgul, what do you think - should we start using it for right now, save us some dev time, and then pay them when we're able? Personally, my philosophy about paying for these kinds of libraries is that we definitely should when we have the money, but if we use it for a while before getting the money, I don't see that as a big deal.

I'm still looking into the technical merits, though, so we may not even need this before it's all over with.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 02:26:41 pm »
I see no reason to even work with that... honestly, I'd rather use RaptorNL, as we've been taking it apart, and putting it back together in a way that's usefull for us... Why spend the money to use someone else's code when we can use something we have completel control over?
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:40:08 pm »
That's generally my thinking. If it was usable under the LGPL, I'd be looking at it a lot harder - I don't want to do any work I don't have to ;D.

I still haven't looked into it a whole lot yet, though, so my view may still change. Right now, I'm busy trying to make up lost hours for Dr. Cooke, and will also be studying for a DB test in a few minutes.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal