G33X Nexus Entertainment > RaptorNL

A C++ Sockets library

(1/2) > >>

contingencyplan:
Found this link while searching for stuff related to my OS project. No, not doing networking - doing an "at" command. I'm glad you can't see the code I'm writing; I'm writing it in the "I just want to fricking get done with this project" style, so it's fugly as sin that's been washed in a public toilet that's been stopped up for 3 months.

Anyways. It's a C++ Socket's library. We might (perhaps?) consider switching over to this, though I don't know yet.

No, I haven't looked at it at all - I'm worrying about finishing this OS project tonight for right now, then doing some work on the pseudocode->C generator. But I'm "publically" bookmarking the link for later perusal. Feel free to peruse it to your hearts' content in the meantime.

http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/

Rosencrantz:
It looks pretty straightforward to use. The documentation is pretty sparse, but the tutorials aren't too bad. Not sure if it does everything we need it to do or not (specifically RUDP).

EDIT: Also, if I have time this weekend I might try to figure out how the networking plugin works and take a swing at giving this a quick test run on kashmir.

contingencyplan:
I've done a bit of poking around. The major problem: library's licensed GPL.

:-\

Rosencrantz:

--- Quote from: contingencyplan on October 13, 2006, 08:04:03 pm ---I've done a bit of poking around. The major problem: library's licensed GPL.

:-\

--- End quote ---

Kind of, there is an alternate license agreement but you have to pay for it.
http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/license.html

contingencyplan:
Right. And that's one of the main problems with Raknet, Zoidcom, etc. - we don't have the money to pay for that right now.

Morgul, what do you think - should we start using it for right now, save us some dev time, and then pay them when we're able? Personally, my philosophy about paying for these kinds of libraries is that we definitely should when we have the money, but if we use it for a while before getting the money, I don't see that as a big deal.

I'm still looking into the technical merits, though, so we may not even need this before it's all over with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version