Author Topic: Feature: The HawkThreads library  (Read 5304 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Feature: The HawkThreads library
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:59:14 pm »
I've noticed in the HawkNL source code there's the HawkThreads headers and source code. Currently, I'm thinking that unless there's a requirement for it within the networking portion of the library (i.e., the threading is inextricably entangled with the networking), I'm just going to take that library out completely. There's other multi-platform threading solutions (CS has theirs; if I was starting a project from scratch, I'd probably use Boost's), so I don't see the need to complicate the networking library by trying to also work with the threading library.

Any thoughts? If somebody wants to take over the threading library, they're more than welcome to. I may want to take it back later, depending on what all happens, but for now I don't see a need for it.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: Feature: The HawkThreads library
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:22:54 pm »
Actually, I think that we should either replace Hawkthreads, or simply keep them. Threading is one of the (rather large) speed enhancments done in HawkNL...
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:41:21 pm »
Okay. I haven't looked at it yet, but I figured I'd get what feedback I could so I have in mind how I'm going to proceed on that one. In this case, however, I may replace it with the Boost library's version. One main thing to keep in mind is I am developing a networking library in and of itself; I'm not trying to tie it in with CS directly.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:49:21 pm »
Correct.Interoperability with CS is not a concern, nor should it be. I would use boost, or keep what's there (as I believe it's wrappers around native libraries).
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:55:26 pm »
I would use boost, or keep what's there (as I believe it's wrappers around native libraries).

That's my understanding as well. I don't know the difference between what's there and boost's. The reason I'd lean towards Boost's, however, is to use something that's already there and tested a LOT. The Boost libraries are well known, well-tested, known to be reliable, and (most importantly) remove one more thing I have to code up myself and keep track of.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:15:12 pm »
I'd lean toward using as much Boost as possible in RaptorNL for exactly that region... they're well-tested, cross-platform C++ libraries that are freely available, and that's less code we need to maintain.  ;)
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche