G33X Nexus Entertainment > RaptorNL

Start of the RaptorNL project

(1/3) > >>

contingencyplan:
Just an intro post: I've started development on RaptorNL, a semi-successor project to HawkNL. It is taking the original HawkNL code and updating it to provide a more powerful and feature-filled library. Check out it's Trac page, and check the code out of Subversion: svn://adidas.servegame.org/raptornl . Right now it's exactly the code that's in HawkNL 1.7 beta 1, but that's soon to change, so make note of the address.

Three important notes:

1) Unless somebody can do a kickass-awesome job convincing me, I am not intending to keep backwards compatibility with HawkNL. If I have to break API compatibility because I think I can do it better, I will. This is designed to be a completely new library, after all. :)

2) HawkNL was released under the LGPL. I can't think of any reason not to release RaptorNL under the same license. So please feel free to make use of it in your own games.

5) Since I do most of my development under Linux, if somebody wants to volunteer to be in charge of Windows builds, I wouldn't say no... :P  Of course, we're needing somebody to be a Windows dev for Precursors and Alluvion, too, if you're interested in REALLY getting in deep.

Aside from that, welcome to the RaptorNL board!

Morgul:
I volunteer to be the Mac OSX build guy... seeing as how I own the only mac worth deving on in the entirety of GNE. :-p

contingencyplan:
This be true. You and I will be doing serious work together, since (iirc) Mac and Intel have different endian-ness. Makes things a might interesting when sending data between them. I think HawkNL already takes care of this, though.

whitelynx:
Thanks for heading up this project, cplan! It's good to see some work being done on HawkNL's code. (even if it's a fork :P)

I may be able to help out with windows builds... I'm running server 2003 on my laptop now, and I have Eclipse (with the C/C++ dev tools), Code::Blocks, and Mingw/MSYS all set up on there. I may also be adding MSVS 2005 in the near future.

contingencyplan:
One question: have we notified Mr. Frisbie about our fork? If not, I'll send him an email - anything y'all want put in there? At the least, I want to let him know that we're still fully interested in cooperating and collaborating between the libraries - that this is a fork out of convenience, not out of disagreement or some stupid shit like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version