Author Topic: Idea for opening screen  (Read 2559 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Idea for opening screen
« on: August 21, 2006, 04:14:41 am »
I was thinking the other day and came up with an idea for the opening screen. It's kinda borrowed from Battlefield 1942, though modified for Precursors. Granted, this is an idea for much later on, but I wanted to free up the space on my closet mirror (scratchpad - yay for whiteboard markers) :).

When you start up the game, instead of just the blank background like we have now, have more activity in the background. Perhaps something like a space battle that's either recorded from in-game or via a pre-scripted system. Likely we'd record a default set of in-game battles, but I'm thinking the player will be able to record their own space battles, so why not let the user select a certain set of vids to randomly choose from to play at the start? Whether the user wants to just show their ship gracefully gliding over an asteroid, weaving back and forth between missiles and laser shots from a cruiser, or getting blown up in an explosion that was just "too cool for wordz," the opening screen will show it as the user is selecting profile, logging into the server, etc. Give something with more activity in the background, make things more interesting, provide an area of personalization, and be just plain kickass.

What do y'all think?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: Idea for opening screen
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:17:02 am »

Hellz.

Fucking.

Yeah.

Seriously though, I like that idea. For now we can just let them set a screenshot as a background. However, I would like the brilliant people of this project to come up with a way to allow for players to make a recording of something that 'just happened'. Figure, the last 60 to 80 seconds of action. How many times have I been playing a game when I've done something neat and gone, 'Man, I wish I'd have taken a screen shot, or recorded a movie...' With something that lets me grab the last X number of seconds... well, it would be awesome.

As a side note to this, I was just thinking that it would eb easier to save a script of what happened then a movie file. I would much rather do everything with scripts then with movie files.

--Chris
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:33:42 pm by whitelynx »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Idea for opening screen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:06:56 pm »
However, I would like the brilliant people of this project to come up with a way to allow for players to make a recording of something that 'just happened'. Figure, the last 60 to 80 seconds of action. How many times have I been playing a game when I've done something neat and gone, 'Man, I wish I'd have taken a screen shot, or recorded a movie...' With something that lets me grab the last X number of seconds... well, it would be awesome.

I'd agree that would be awesome. We'd have to give some serious thought to how we'd do it, though - having stuff logged continuously normally puts a HUGE strain on resources.

As a side note to this, I was just thinking that it would eb easier to save a script of what happened then a movie file. I would much rather do everything with scripts then with movie files.

--Chris

This sounds interesting. We'll have to play around with this too - might ease the logging aspect.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal