Author Topic: Welcome the New Webmaster, and Head of Public Relations!  (Read 8638 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Welcome the New Webmaster, and Head of Public Relations!
« on: July 09, 2006, 08:08:04 pm »
I have offically granted NeoLithic the position of GNE Webmaster, and HEad of the Public Relations department. Please welcome him, and introduce yourself if you've not already.

Now, what does this mean? Well, it means the news on the site will get updated more often. It also means that we're going to get a bunch of traffic in the next few days.

As far as the website redesign, and everything, Neolithic is the webmaster. He's not the web designer. I don't know his html skills, but think of him as a manager for web related stuff. he's not going to be coding the site, he's going to be working with the content on it. So, basically, nothing's changed, except for more frequent updates.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Welcome the New Webmaster, and Head of Public Relations!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 11:50:58 pm »
Welcome, NeoLithic. <checkmark>

I'm contingencyplan, the shadow mage of coding and resident ivory tower theorist. <checkmark>

As far as more frequent updates, kickass! One question: would putting the blog module up on the Trac be helpful in this regard? See for an example.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:52:33 am »
Actually, it might be rather neat/useful.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:31:59 am »
Welcome NeoLithic!  As webmaster for another company, I can honestly say . . . I don't envy your job.  :P

Anywho, I am Caenus, Head of Content Design and President of the Art Department.  Anything regarding the look of anything must go through me and then on to Morgul.  (I'm also working on designing the look of the site you're coding)

A thought about blogging.  I think it'd be great for each department to have a blog that its members can write to.  The coding department, the PR department, the Art department, etc, etc, etc.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:09:59 am »
I don't know how well that will work, if we're planning on doing everything through Trac. I'll have to look at that, but to my knowledge, there's *one* blog. I'll see if you can get it to filter stuff, though. I think you can.

So what does our new webmaster think of the idea?

Also, if we're planning on doing a lot of blogging, rather than just using it for news regarding the game, we might consier using actual blog software, rather than the TracBlog plugin. Any thoughts?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline NeoLithic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 02:15:41 pm »
Thanks for the greetz guys.

As for the blog, I am most definitely all for it, and if I wasn't at work today, I was actually going to post the idea (got it on my way to work).

I think that each member of the team having their own blog is the way to go. I've seen this with many companies, and it seems to work quite well. I remember when I was younger going to WebDog just so I could read the latest .plan updates for the boys from id Software.

But, that's just my two cents...
------------------------------------
Jay
Nuff said...

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 02:24:01 pm »
Welcome to the team, NeoLithic!

I'm Dave, the lead programmer for GNE. 'Nuff said. :P

I don't know how well that will work, if we're planning on doing everything through Trac. I'll have to look at that, but to my knowledge, there's *one* blog. I'll see if you can get it to filter stuff, though. I think you can.
Actually, reading the TracBlogPlugin page on TracHacks, it says that you can put a blog on each page, which afaik means that you can have multiple separate blogs.

I'd love to put the blog plugin in Trac... it requires the Tags plugin as well, which should give us some interesting flexibility as far as organization goes.
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche

Offline NeoLithic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:16:29 pm »
Anywho, I am Caenus, Head of Content Design and President of the Art Department.  Anything regarding the look of anything must go through me and then on to Morgul.  (I'm also working on designing the look of the site you're coding)

Since you're the one doing the redesign, I know who to drop all of my little tidbits of goodness I'd like added to the site (ie. Jobs page, Media page, Press Releases, Links (useful for linking to popular gaming sites, just to generate a good reputation with the good sites) etc.)

For those that are wondering what I'm working on right now, I am currently attempting to generate a fan base for the game through other gaming sites and through events. I am also organizing a mailing list, putting together a press kit, as well as taking our current graphic package and creating a fan-site kit.

If there is anything else anyone wants, just let me know.
Jay
Nuff said...

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 08:41:50 pm »
For those that are wondering what I'm working on right now, I am currently attempting to generate a fan base for the game through other gaming sites and through events. I am also organizing a mailing list, putting together a press kit, as well as taking our current graphic package and creating a fan-site kit.

If there is anything else anyone wants, just let me know.

So how exactly are you generating a fan base for the game using those methods? They sound cool; I'm just curious as to the "behind the scenes / who you're paying off ;D" kind of stuff.

Also, looking at the Planeshift forums, I can't help but notice how much difference having a working game demo makes...

* contingencyplan gets to work on coding.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline NeoLithic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 09:03:24 pm »
So how exactly are you generating a fan base for the game using those methods? They sound cool; I'm just curious as to the "behind the scenes / who you're paying off ;D" kind of stuff.

Mostly by working with gaming sites to organize email / IRC based exclusive interviews, doing the whole IRC Chat night, later on getting Caenus to give me renders to offer exclusively to sites. Essentially, generate a lot of interest in the project on large sites. The game will get noticed a little bit more, and it will make it a lot easier to get a lot of traffic going on the forums.
Jay
Nuff said...

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 01:16:02 am »
Sounds good - looking forward to seeing what you're going to do.

Good luck! :)
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 12:55:38 pm »
Heh - getting Caenus to give you renders . . . if you mean concept sketches then sure, renders are a bit of a ways off.

Hey morgul - if you guys are gonna want a kick ass redesign, Dave's gonna need some dough.  He'll probably redo the whole dang thing for 100 bucks (minus the 30 you already have shelled out).  The big thing is, we MUST have the entire layout of the site first (this is where NeoLithic comes in).  NeoLithic, I need a written summary of what segments will be on the site (i.e. what areas he needs to design) and then also what colors you'd like. 

I am working on a php template for the forums, but Dave (of Purplehoodie Productions) will be the one who does the actual artwork.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline NeoLithic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 01:25:49 pm »
Heh - getting Caenus to give you renders . . . if you mean concept sketches then sure, renders are a bit of a ways off.

Concept's are just as good, as long as they are pretty detailed (which I am assuming yours are), but even basic clay models will do. Pretty much anything that has been rendered is good enough for now.

Hey morgul - if you guys are gonna want a kick ass redesign, Dave's gonna need some dough.  He'll probably redo the whole dang thing for 100 bucks (minus the 30 you already have shelled out).  The big thing is, we MUST have the entire layout of the site first (this is where NeoLithic comes in).  NeoLithic, I need a written summary of what segments will be on the site (i.e. what areas he needs to design) and then also what colors you'd like. 

I am working on a php template for the forums, but Dave (of Purplehoodie Productions) will be the one who does the actual artwork.

Give me a couple days to hammer it out, and I'll send you the goods. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going for as far as the segments of the site, but I'd be more comfortable with morgul choosing the base colours (ie. font, links, etc.), as this is his baby, not mine :)
Jay
Nuff said...