http://astonia.com/
http://industryplayer.com/
and many others

what do these have in common?
-Bad graphics
-wouldnt take long to make
-very successfull

the reasons these are so successfull is the gameplay
it would not take lonng to make a little mmo like astonia and might be able to make precursers some money

wouldnt  take more then a few months to make an mmo like that, it could be that mini game project...

just my idea
-infernal

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:21:12 pm »
Not a bad one except for the fact that Precursors would have to be put on hold. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:48:11 pm »
Unfortunately We don't have the time to do more than one project right now. I don't even think we have the infrastructure to get things moving (as far as the whole getting paid thing, or even setting up a server.) No, as far as anything we would do goes.. it would most certainly be halfassed. We'll get to the whole making money thing this summer.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 11:20:26 pm »
Heh - as far as setting up a server, talk to Dawn.  He can do it for cheap.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:13:50 am »

eh it wouldnt need to be put on hold, you could devote little time to it at a time so i could be made under a larger duration like 6-8 months.

Dunno just an idea =p, I'm not very usefull to precursers =p but im pretty good at rendering weapons n crap in photoshop so i could be helpfull somehow to a game like astonia if you guys wanted to make it.

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:24:35 am »
Well, those could be useful as concepts... not just for a game like that. So, throw some ideas up.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Neo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:26:11 am »

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 02:18:49 pm »
woops i edited before n it came up as a double post =p

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »
www.stargatewars.com
ah that uses the b&b script all sites that use it get popular, the script for b&b can be bought for 100$ and is easily editable

heres some other sites using that
www.critticage.com
www.hobowars.com

Neo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 03:07:21 pm »
yep, I was thinking that all you'd need for somthing like that would be a SQL database and then just edit some php and all that jazz. That would be easy, fast, and alost relivent to the game. You could do ALOT of kewl stuff with that.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 06:11:32 pm »
.... Precursors Neopets? o.O

Neo

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 06:46:11 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 08:00:58 pm »
yikes no but precurser thing like that stargate one perhaps
you could buy soldiers and ships n all that stuff and if that gets population they could be our first customers for precursers

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 12:38:42 am »
Morgul and I have been talking about a game that we're gonna work on developing AFTER precursors.  However, I was wondering how hard it would be to do an RTS?

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 10:39:51 am »
Ho-Ho-Ho Rts man let me think up the gameplay for it! I love RTS I havn't played it in years but now i started playing Dawn of War (which i beat against the hardest CPU my 8th time playin)

It would actually take awhile if you wanted to make a good one, now a days the graphics are so good on em that you can zoom in till one guy takes up your  whole screen and you can watch him fight its pretty intence...

But why not take RTS to a new level like that game battlezone2 did (That was wicked fun but it could have been made better) So that your in FPS mode but at the same time its rts, so your in first person as one of the units and from fps mode you build stuff, build units, and control em.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 12:44:11 pm »
That's what we're planning for precursors, in essance.

As far as an RTS, I've got one, complete with a (non precursors) mini storyline, and plot, and everything.

I'm seriously considering doing a Yoda Stories style game.... I think it would be wicked fun, and pretty easy. (90% artwork)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 06:31:51 pm »
90% artwork?!?

YES!!!!!

*does a little dance*

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 07:08:19 pm »
LOL. I'd want to pull cosmo in for most of it. You do the concept, he does the final. (From what I've seen, it's geared towards his style.) Unless you wanna get insane with vector images.

Oh, and btw... concept is to do this all in python.. writing our own little RPG engine for it.. hehe.

--Chris

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 10:35:56 pm »
Python?!

My turn to do a little dance.

* contingencyplan does a little dance, but gets tangled up in the Python's tail and falls down and embarasses himself.

Oops.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 11:04:24 pm »
Thought you'd like that. If we're doing a down and dirty simple arcade style game, I want to do it in a language that lets me code with simplicity. that's python.

Plus, there's no physics, only simple sprite collision detection. The rest is handeling images, and doing other basic stuff. Using C++ would be over kill.