Author Topic: DarkNorAel Sketch Desktop  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
DarkNorAel Sketch Desktop
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:30:00 pm »
This is the desktop I've been threatening to make. I really like it.

So far, these are the resolutions I've got:

1280x800 (Just for Cae!)
1280x1024
1400x1050
1600x1050

Any others people want?
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: DarkNorAel Sketch Desktop
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 05:21:45 pm »
Nice. :)
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Neo

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:26:20 pm »
Dark Stealth - Enjoy  ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:01:23 pm by Reynard »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
I'm not gonna make a big deal about this, but you need to ask permission to use my images.  As a contracted member of GNE, I am exclusive owner of the copyright for all the images I produce. 

Like I said, not a huge deal, just be careful about using my stuff in the future.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Neo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 05:19:54 pm »
"This is the desktop I've been threatening to make. I really like it."

As far as I knew it was morgul's. If you don't like it, remove it. And Also, Welcome to the world of "fan art"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:29:24 pm by Reynard »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 02:40:53 am »
First off, Morgul obtained permission to use my sketch.  Second, fan art is a completely original work of art by a fan.  Yours was not.

And as to how you didn't know the sketch was mine . . . well . . . I realize that the original was passed on to morgul outside the medium of the forum, so you had no way to know this.

Like I said, it's not a huge deal, but realize that when it comes to work I've done for this company, I WILL be militant about protecting my legal copyright.  Typically, if you wanna edit something to make a cool desktop, if you'll just email me, I'll gladly give you permission. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 04:32:52 am »
Also, imagine the scenario where some jackoff decides to take this same image, except scrawl a bunch of obscenities on it and post it as "fan art." It is clearly not, and since there's no way Cae gave his permission to use it, then the jackoff is in violation of Cae's copyright, and Cae would (rightly and legally) "request" that the image be removed.

However, if Cae didn't enforce the issue of requiring permission right now, at the start, even with well-meaning friends, then said jackoff could point to such lack of enforcement as precedent for not asking permission before posting his crap. Not a fully defensible argument, but one that would allow his crap to stay up just that much longer. On the other hand, if Cae's militant / anal about it right now, then when the jerkoff pulls that move, Cae can directly counter "Yes, they did ask permission. You didn't. Now kindly remove it, or we will be forced to seek legal action."

This isn't anything personal against anybody. It's an important legal move referred to, in official legalese, as "one taking direct and appropriate action pursuant to ensuring the covering of one's own ass." :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:35:10 am by contingencyplan »
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:29:31 am »
I'll put it another way:

If there is a jackoff on these forums, who pulls shit like this, their account will be deleted, along with any offending artwork. Should any non Jackass make a mistake, they should *FROM NOW ON* be informed in private, by the artist. I don't want these discussions cluttering up the forums. If anyone has a problem with something, and cant resolve it with the other party, then bring me into it. But, NEVER should this be in the main medium of the forums.

Regardless, I do like the interesting twist Neo added... doesn't quite look like a sketch any more.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 11:42:37 am »
Agreed on the twist Neo added - does indeed look cool. Good job. :)

And for my contrived example, I meant that they posted the pic on their own website or something, basically something that we didn't have direct control over. If you're really trying to be a jackoff, would you really let a little thing like deletion of your account stop you from posting your art masterpiece? :P

Also, I think having this discussion once, in public, under agreeable circumstances, provides a good example for others to follow, and sets the precedent desired by everybody involved, even if all other communications are done in private (which they should be).

Okay, I'll stop talking now.

* contingencyplan stands in the corner whistling, then goes back to work.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Neo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:25:24 pm »
* Reynard is trying to figure out if morgul just called him a jackoff

So, let me get this strait. You like it, but I'm a whore?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:53:41 pm by Reynard »

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 08:24:51 pm »
Boy, you are paranoid. As youself this? Were you being a jackoff?

If you were, and your account isn't deleted yet, please bring it to my attention, and I'll fix that.  :P

--Chris

Neo

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 08:28:31 pm »
This sorta paranoa can get me in the loony bin. Crazy? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rubber chickens. I hate chickens, they make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rubber chickens. I hate chickens, they make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rubber chickens. I hate chickens, they make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rubber chickens. I hate chickens, they make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rubber chickens. I hate chickens, they make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rubber chickens. I hate chickens, they make me crazy...

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 09:25:30 pm »
* contingencyplan shoots Reynard.

Your craziness regarding rubber, chickens, and rooms has been solved sirs.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 09:31:35 pm »
Wow . . . I never expected this sort of spark. 

Neo, I dig the background.  Great job.  In the future, just send me a note and I'll okay the use of my work. 

I'm simply being militant to protect my future assets. 

Neo

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 06:46:35 am »
"to protect my future assets."

There is a joke here, Concerning morgul moving here and what you are trying to prtoect. But I am above that. ;)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 12:45:48 am »
Bullshit you are.

Heh, funny though.