Author Topic: Comic Characters  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Comic Characters
« on: April 03, 2006, 11:57:22 pm »
Okay, I'm gonna get a tablet eventually which will improve my artwork drastically, since all my photoshop stuff is being done with a mouse. 

Here's one of The Praetorian:

Not the greatest, but like I said - it'll improve.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Comic Characters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:12:34 am »
Here's a hand drawn Lizbeth Locke.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:23:48 am »
Liz seemspretty happy. Either she just helped a small child, or a really hot girl walked into the bar. Not sure which
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 09:29:06 am »
. . . the latter.  ::)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:29:33 am »
FINALLY!!!

I finally managed to nail down the design for liz.  Only problem is, it's on my other computer and I can't get it to post.  I'll do so later.  But yeah, Liz is definitely finished from a webcomic angle. 

Oh, and morgul - if you wanna do a webcomic, I can.  I'll have to get ahold of a scanner or else go over to brian's all the time (fine with me, so long as he don't care).  I'll just need you to come up with a script that will span say . . . 5 strips to start with.  We'll go from there. 

EDIT: There we go. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 12:55:51 am by Caenus »

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:50:29 pm »
Nice. I like. I'm going to scan in the sketch Cory did... which is actually a pretty ruff one for him. (he admitted tome he hadn't slept for more than 4 hours the night before, and he did this after a long day at work (so this is after midnight he even started)

You'll notice that what you have is very much like a comic-esque version of his sketch. Oh, and regarding the story, I'll start working on it soon. We need to figure out what characters we want involved... I'm thinking Praetorian, Liz, Glyse and maybe one other. Un sure though.

Edit: Cory isn't the happiest with this sketch, and it's a really ruff one. But, I think that it's a nice corallary to your comic version of Liz.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:52:45 pm by morgul »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 01:58:57 pm »
I need a physical description of Glyse so I can do a character map of her too.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:47:14 pm »
Even though I already gave you one, here's what's in the story:

"Glyse was wearing the standard blue League uniform, with gray trim. She wore it very well, having it tailored to accent her shapely body. Her bright red hair and softly glowing orange eyes accented a face that was both strong, and very feminine. He mouth was perfectly formed, with  nice full lips that could hypnotize any warm blooded man, if he wasn't careful."

Just for extra creative sources.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »
If Cory's up to it, I could also see comic series, rather than just plain-old webcomics. In other words, rather than having an ongoing, once a week thing, have like a comic book online. This way, different people can make different editions and whatnot - similar stories, but with each artists' take on the people involved. Adds depth to the characters, and may help explore areas of the characters that y'all haven't thought of.

Another idea that occurred to me, while not related to the webcomic, is posting on the deviantart forums for another contest, this time with different aspects of the Precursors universe. For instance, planetscapes, cities, characters, etc. I've downloaded several wallpapers on there - I especially like the Sci-Fi and Females sections, though Sci-Fi would obviously be more useful here :).

At any rate, thought I'd post that idea. Kickass sketches, btw.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 09:39:02 pm »
I'm actually better at comic book layouts and such than I am a webcomic - which is why we're talking about doing a complete story arc and just posting each page as I finish it.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:10:15 pm »
I'm working out a mini plot... problem is 5 pages is a bit small for a true story. However, I'll figure something out.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 10:35:29 pm »
I just threw a number out there - bear in mind that it'll take a while.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 11:30:15 pm »
Alrighty - here's Glyse Case.  Complete with Bracers. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 12:02:55 am by Caenus »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 12:33:00 am »
And the final design for Praetorian.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 01:25:01 am »
Here's Cory's quick idea for Liz's guns:

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 02:15:01 am »
Hrm. To me, both Glyce and the Praetorian look a bit *too* cartoonie - I'd like to see them a bit more realistic. Can't give much more definition than that, unfortunately. Also, I'm under the influence of ethanol, so my opinion may change by lunch tomorrow. At any rate, good job. I look forward to seeing what y'all do with this comic. If I can help, let me know. I may also discuss my ideas for my cyborg tomorrow; I thought some about his character during Comp Arch today.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 07:09:12 am »
Gee . . . maybe that's because I'm designing them for a CARTOON!

Sorry . . . I hate having to get up for this class at 8 am. 

Eventually I'll sketch them to be more realistic just to appease you.

*mutters* . . . hypercritical . . .*mutters*

P.S. I realize that your weren't hypercritical, I'm half asleep and in the ONLY class I have today.  I'd love to go over Janus - I had a cool idea, but . . .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 02:40:19 pm by Caenus »

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 08:56:29 am »
Whoa, down boy. Cplan, eventually I'm going to get cory to do complete color sketches of all characters, hand crafted to fit themselves, etc, etc. Right now what Caenus has is good, damn good for a comic. As he did say, it's for a cartoon after all. And, these are just concepts. I'm sure that once Cae has a few thousand more hours under his belt with photoshop, he's gunna look back,and go, "Holy crap those looked like shit." My favorite example of this is the webcomic Questionable Content.

This is the first strip: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1

A more recent one: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=598

That's the same comic, and the guy and the robot are the same. Funny thing is, as you read the comic, the styles subtly change with each strip, so you never go, "Wait, this looks different."

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 01:38:45 am »