Author Topic: ATI vs nVidia  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
ATI vs nVidia
« on: March 19, 2006, 01:05:54 pm »
which one to go with?

As i understand it nVidia gives you higher frame rates and stuff but ATI has nicer shaders and stuff.  I'm leaning toward nVidia but im seeing that ATI seems to give you more for the money you pay... So what do you guys think i should go with? (Im planning to spend 150-250$ on my vid card, so im planning to go with the newwest GPU's)

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: ATI vs nVidia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:17:53 pm »
Nvidia. All the way. ATI has some nice hardware, but it's a PAIN to keep working. Their drivers are buggy, crash, and plain flat out suck. Nvidia, you get what you payfor. Also, nvidia cards really do perform better per $ than ATI.

Then again, I'm an nvidia zelot.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:56:52 pm »
Morgul's right.  I have an ATI and the only way for me to get volumetric shading to work correctly is to kill all processes except the bare minimum.  It's a royal pain.  Next video card I get is gonna be an Nvidia and it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, I'm sick of having a card that "BARELY" runs HALO.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:12:57 pm »
dude but i have a 1.5 year old radeon 9250 AGP ATI card right now that i got for like 50$ 1.5 years ago, it runs source, halo, BF2, and all those games and its a year old + AGP, ATI's can't  be thatt bad but i cant afford nVidea's newwest GPU 320$+  >:( ill get a 7800 gt i guess thanks guys

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 01:10:57 am »
The 7800GT is so amazingly kickass, there's not need to think of it as 'settling'. I've got an FX5200.... WAAAAAY different class of card then the 7800. So, don't complain, mmkay?
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 04:21:15 pm »
=p kk
I reorganized my comp spendin last money on the case/mobo so I have now come up with this graphics card =p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130249
pwns all of urs PWNS THEM
muahaha bow down to me fools ! =p

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 05:12:04 pm »
* morgul pwns Infernal with his new laptop.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:18:17 pm »
psh u wish...  ;D
Spex
athlon 3700 64 bit (OCed to 4200+)
EVGA 7800GT 256 mb graphics card (OCed to round 700-800 mgz)
1 GB duel channel ddr 400 ram
200 GB SATA HD
A shnazzy case and plenty of LED and NEON lights to go around =p

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 05:34:25 pm »
My laptop's an IBM. It will be chugging along when my grandkids are old enough to ask, "What's windows?". And, it's teh pwnage to boot!

* morgul smacks Infernal over the head with his laptop

Oh and did I mention that since it's an IBM, I can crack people's heads open with it's 5.2 lbs of goodness, without worry about damaging it? Damn, I love aircraft grade steel and Magnesium construction!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 05:36:49 pm by morgul »

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 07:05:46 pm »
well... I can   smack my world history 1000000000000 page textbook on ur head  :D

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 01:55:39 am »
"How about I wammy-zammy a world of hurt up your backside?"  With my Quantum Mechanics: an Examination of Subatomic Structure with Application to Newtonian Calculus book, no less.

(a piece of candy to the first person who tells me where that quote comes from)

Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Dawn

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Dawnet
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 11:33:16 am »
Ohh yeah, Nvidea man! ATI sucks for dual screens, and is a pain to get working correctly, and does not like 64 bit Windows at all!

Also, I have a friend that has a AM64 3200 with a 2GB and a 256meg Geforce 6800... He get's 400+ Frames/sec on Battlefield Vietnam. Now you tell me how that's "setling"

Daddy, What does formatting drive c: mean?

Neo

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 04:25:41 pm »
nVidia hands down

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:20:45 pm »
Lol lil late on that one neo =p