Author Topic: RolePlaying System  (Read 12204 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
RolePlaying System
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:50:16 am »
I'm going to be sitting down in th next few days to design the roleplaying system. I was wondering ho many people here had any roleplaying esperiance, and wanted to help me figure out how we should do this. The advanage we have over systems like d20 is tht we don't care how complex the equations are.. we've got a computer to do the math for us. Therefore we can do things like logs, and exponentiation, and other things like that.

Also, it would be nice if once I get the character creation part down, people created a couple characters. I ight even get a character maker page coded in PHP.

So, any thoughts?
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Neo

Re: RolePlaying System
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:40:07 pm »
Whoohooo! I love RPs! I'll help!

d20, d6, d10 <== systems I've played

Dragondice, warhammer, boldersgate, CCG w/ dice <== games involving dice

And I once had this no-graphic game called Angband where you go and explore dunguns. This was your charatcter '@' a tile in the ground was '.' walls were '#'. A great dragon was 'D' and it had all different color on the text. Nice turn based game. */Drool\* I want it for PC... :'(

~Reynard

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 02:14:46 pm »
Nice...the character creation will be in 2d for now I presume?

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 05:38:23 pm »
exactly. I'm working on this on paper for now, we'll see what my fuddled brain comes up with.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Gray Haired
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 10:27:33 pm »
I've got a fair amount of experiece roleplaying. I think the important part is not the size of the dice that you are using to determine what happens, but the flexibility and balance of the system that you are working in.

From what I've seen the GURPS system has a lot of good stuff(well balanced and broad in genre), but there may be licensing issues with using that system in a closed enviornment such as this.

A d20 system may be good to look at for balance purposes.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 01:25:43 am »
Well, here's my question: What will we be using this system for? Not for hit / miss stuff, since that's determined by the Player's skill and his / her character's attributes (stamina, accuracy, etc). I don't think we'll be rolling a d20 every time someone fires their gun - especially if they're using an automatic weapon (imagine the vast number of calculations required!). So what *will* we be using this system for?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 02:10:02 am »
Good question.  Oh and morgul, if you want 2D art for anything . . . lemme know.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 10:51:12 am »
OK, let me explain a bit. This system will helps us figure out how character creation goes, and then based on that, it will give us the rules for how an action gets performed. Rolling a die every time a bullet fires is stupid, you're right, contingencyplan. Actually, rolling a die, even a perverbial one, is kinda retarded in a computer. There are other sources of randomness, and other ways of appearing to be random with a computer. I'd like to explore those a bit.

Now, the main thing I want to focus on is the basic "What goes into a character" part of a system, because I believe everythign else should be built around that. Maybe tofday after my tests, I'll get around to outlining a system.

Neo

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 03:02:41 pm »
Roger That.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 02:06:43 pm »
Ok...below I have come up with a fairly simple diagram of character creation...is this basically how you are thinking of doing it?:

1) User opens application [Precursors] and selects "Create New Character"
2) Browser window with character creation page comes up {coded in PHP or something else depending on Morgul or Whitelynx's preferences....}
3) Character creation by user begins {Below I have listed only two customizations to use as an example}:

(EXAMPLE 1:)
     I- Select Name; Select Gender:
          -IF gender = "male":
               II-select faction {terran, league, coalition}:
                    ---IF faction = "terran"
                         III- Select descent {asian, european, american, or african}
                               /// IF descent = "European":
                                        IV- Eye color, hair color, etc....

(EXAMPLE 2:)
      I- Select Name; Select Gender:
           -IF gender = "female":
                   II-select faction
                        ---IF faction = "coalition":
                             III-Select descent
                                  /// IF descent = "Asian"
                                   IV- Eye color, hair color, etc....

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 03:16:28 pm »
That's close. I'm working on a document to describe how the character creation's going to go. I'll export as a pdf, and post here when it's done.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 03:22:11 pm »
Ok, cool...sounds like a plan...   

Then I can get to work on doing a few rough copies in flash for the graphical part of it...

Neo

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 07:47:02 pm »
Just let me know when or if you want my opinion. I like to memorise stats for units, traits for races, and anything that can give me the edge in a game.

~Neo

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 08:12:51 pm »
Of course I want your opinion! Just because of the stupid shit that happened with the hlds server, and crap, doesn't mean I don't want it. So, please, give away! Cae and I are working on a few ideas on this one, and we've got the beginings of an interesting system... If I get a chance I'll post the general concept of what we've got.

--Chris

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 09:53:48 pm »
It's a double post, I know, but I figure, what the hell? I'm entitled. Ok, here's the generic overview of how I'm thinking this will work. Warning: I'm not up to par on the math yet, so I'm not going to include equations, just the general principals.

Character Creation

Point Values

Most MMORPG's use 'levels' to rate a character's progress in a game. In Precursors, we'll be using a point system. The Character Point Value (CPV) will basically serve two roles. First, it gives you a limit on how many skills, and such you can give your character at creation. afterwards, it gives you a sense of acomplishment, and also lets you rate characters. Sure, there's a part of me that says that this 'breaks realism' but you don't HAVE to look at this. It just gives us something concrete to talk about, which I think is good.

So, basically, you will start out able to make a 200 point character. This limits you to Lyndri, Half Lyndri, Human, and NorAellian (although I'm not sure if the Drag's will be more like 250 point characters.) It's a decent list to choose from, and doesn't lock you into one race, but also gives you hope of more to come.

The points, as I mentioned, will be used at creation time to improve your skills. There won't be the option to change the initial settings you make once you've made them, so you also will have to use all the skill points, or lose them.

Skills

Everything in the game will be based on skills. Hacking a computer takes skills, and flying a ship takes skills. Everything is based on skills (Yes, I'm being repetitive, but I'm beating it into your skull.) Skills have two components: Intuition, and Knowledge. Both are increased by training, or using a skill.

Over all, skills will grow over time (with use), but as they increase, their growth will decrease. For example, if it takes two days of training to get from 40 to 50 in a skill, it will take four days to get from 50 to 60. Eventually, it will naturally platue at a 'max value'. this max is based on each race. Let's say a human's 'break shit' skill is at 95 (max 100), and a Sooni's 'break shit' skill is at 95 (max 200). It will take much more training for the human to get from 95 to 98 then it will for the Sooni. This is because the Human's near his limit, while the Sooni's got quite a ways to go before she's close to the 'knife edge'.

Now, something that people should take note of is this: Skills have a 'halflife'. No, it's not based on a halflife style degredation formula (Caenus: would this make any sense here? We might want to make it a true half life.), nor does it have anything to do with Headcrabs.Instead, I simply mean it decays. (Kinda like headcrab zombies. Oh, and did you ever wonder where those things come from? Flip one over, and you'll see a 'Made in Tiawan' sticker! I swear to you! All zombies are made in Tiawan!) So, if you don't use skills, your skill level will drop.

Now, this means that you can't just get a million points in one skill, then never use it. Should you not use it for a while, you will start to loose point in it, but you can gain those back much quicker, should you start using it again then when you first gained those points. Still, you need to actually use you skills. If you think about this, it also means that a 260 point character can become a 220 point character if you don't bother using any of his skills.

This is basically the point we've gotten to. I've got to turn my attention to health/endurance, combat, and a few other areas... which will happen once Dave gets back. I want to be able to talk them out with someone in person before I commit stuff to paper.

--Chris
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 03:36:32 pm by morgul »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 11:01:17 am »
(Caenus: would this make any sense here? We might want to make it a true half life.)

Not really.  Unless you want skill to degrade based on age which, with the technology we're assuming has been developed, wouldn't be very practical.  I say we use that decay method and equation that I gave you, that'll allow for skill decay without having to worry about anything else.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 12:11:28 pm »
Ok. Just checking.

Neo

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 03:30:28 pm »
so you also will have to use all the skill points, or lose them.

Nice one there. I like the sound of that. It is more realistic than most RPs. I'm glad you're already looking ahead to expansion packs. That will give more time for story and character development while also allowing for you to make money on the game. :D I will be working more on the story with Guardian soon... I've already got some wicked ideas...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 03:37:01 pm by morgul »

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 03:37:57 pm »
Hehe. Awsome. Oh, btw, I meant to say 'you'll have to use all the poinst, or lose them.' (I edited to post, and your quote)

But yeah, I like this system we're building.

--Chris

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 11:45:12 pm »
I do too . . . I sat through the entire third and fourth acts of my sister's play doing complex math in my head.  It's a great learning experience for me.