Author Topic: How to Report a Bug  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
How to Report a Bug
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:34:00 pm »
These are the genral rules for reporting a bug:

1) Make sure the bug has not already been reported. (Check in this forum, and on the Development Releases page)

If it is listed, feel free to comment on the bug in the appropriate forums post pertaining to that bug.

2) If the bug is has not been reported, make a new thread in this forum. The title should be formated like this:
Code: [Select]
Bug Report: Version.Build - Descriptive Bug Name
So, for example, if I was using 0.4.1 build 987, and I found out that the ship only rolls to the left after getting hit by a flamming green missile of death, I would make a thread with the following title:
Code: [Select]
Bug Report: 0.4.1.987 - Can't Roll Right after FGMOD
3) The body of your post should be formatted as follows:
  • Summary: One or two sentence description of the bug
  • Details: Detailed description of what's wrong, what you were doing when it happened, how you made it happen, and anything else we need to know.
  • Reproducability: How often you can make this happen, and how many computers you've been able to make this happen on.
  • System Information: This should include all the information you can give us about your computer, including OS, Videocard, Ram, prcessor,etc

So, for example, a report from me would look like this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: Ship will no longer roll to the right after Getting hit by a flamming green missile of death.

Details: After dogfighting with Caenus for a while, he got the jump on me, and fired a FGMOD. Aside from the damage I took, I noticed that I couldn't roll to the right. I didnt see any reason for why the damage would have removed my ability to roll to the right. Caenus and I started our own private testing session, and sure enough, we found that no matter where you're hit, a FGMOD will remove your ability to roll to the right. We even had whitelynx edit the damage value of the missle to zero, and it still had the same effect.

Reproducibility: Happens every time on my system, on Caenus's system, and on all GNE's testing systems. Does not happen on Ryguy's computer, or Reynard's.

System: Pentium 7 10.8 THz 98 Gigs of Ram, 90 Exobyte HD, Voodoo 2 videocard. Windows 2028 and Linux 4.8 kernel (happens in both)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Make sure to get the bug confirmed on more than your system!

Once you follow these guidelines, we'll post it on Trac, and investigate it. Who knows, it might get fixed for the next release. Oh, also, follow these guidelines, or I'll hunt you down, and kill you with a FGMOD. Twice.

--Chris
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:49:33 pm by whitelynx »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: How to Report a Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 01:03:54 am »
Woot!!  I screwed up morgul's ship!!!

Heh . . . Pentium 7 . . .

ROFLMFAO
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:00:44 pm by Caenus »
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 03:45:44 am »
No, what's funnier is that the system is still using a Voodoo 2 card. Ugh.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:21:30 am »
No, what's funnier is that the system is still using a Voodoo 2 card. Ugh.

That responce would be the reason for the inclusion. :-p
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Neo

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:53:52 am »
Just note that it's going to take time to confirm and re-confirm occorance. It may even be after the next release if you guys are workign fast enough.

~Reynard

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 12:20:40 pm »
That's fine. We'll get to all the bugs before another official release... but not before the testing releases.