Author Topic: character creation  (Read 6133 times)

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
character creation
« on: February 08, 2006, 12:26:05 pm »
Ok, eventually how will character creation mode be setup?  Will it be a 3d charater creation studio, or a 2d one --- and what kind of options will the player have to create his/her character?

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: character creation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 12:44:52 pm »
I think it'd be cool (though difficult) to have a character lab just like Mechwarrior had a MechLab.  Like that, or The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 01:19:27 pm »
Yeah, that what I was thinking...I think that would be cool :).

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 01:36:40 pm »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 02:14:41 pm »
ahh, sounds good.  But, would you be able to do it totally on the client as well?  Also, will it be a full-body creation, or just a portrait or what?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 02:38:41 pm by ryguy_1617 »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:11:20 pm »
It'll probably be limited to two or three general models of male/female/other of each race.  The biggest change would probably come in dress/color.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Neo

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 03:14:28 pm »
I would like to take a moment to say how much your avatar freaks everyone out, ceanus. And with that back to topic!

~Reynard

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 03:35:34 pm »
Well, hopefully there will be detail customization to an extent...the game would lose some points by having every third character in the universe look the same.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 03:41:54 pm »
Well of course, but that's gotta be what's typically known as "gravy".  Let's focus on playability first.

Oh, and Reynard . . . why do you think I did that?

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 03:58:24 pm »
Yeah I know...I was just kinda wondering about it ;).

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:52:00 am »
One idea I just had is this: Since in general, we are trying to avoid stat points and whatnot, rather than having people assign points to different skills, we have them play through training for those skills. For example, if they want to be good at hacking, then they go through hacking training and such to advance that skill - this advances it both in real-life (the Player themself) and in the game (quasi-skill points). This way we can avoid people obsessing with number-crunching as much as possible (at least for number crunchers who don't dive through the code).

An addition to this idea is that some skills are only available in certain areas of the galaxy - you'd have to go to the less-than-legal areas of the universe to be able to learn advanced hacking skills, for instance.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 10:04:54 am »
erm...for hacking skills, there will be an in-game form of hacking the computers to where they have to do hacking manually that they learn through the training, right [that's different than actual hacking]?

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 10:58:51 am »
It's an interesting idea. I am going to work with a friend with some major RP experiance on the RP system. I like this idea though.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 04:46:24 pm »
Like Enter the Matrix.  You could actually hack the matrix to gain weapons and cheats and such. 

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 07:12:27 pm »
Well, yes, but we aren't going to have it to that level. However, hacking (both software and hardware-based) will be a skill, methinks. We're going to have all good, evil, right, wrong, and every shade of grey in between. People will be able to do illegal activities. The only question is how much we allow those people to affect others - do we allow them to hack people's bank accounts, for example?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 07:22:30 pm »
Hmm....maybe we should allow them to hack bank accounts, because it is possible to in real life.  But, I think that it should be extremely difficult to, with extreme consequences.