Author Topic: Experimental technologies?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Experimental technologies?
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:24:20 am »
Looking over the technologies part of the storyline - black projects, horror stories, death and mayhem...  This gives me an idea:

What about these black projects?  Maybe we could give certain players (who have distinguished themselves or something) the option to participate in the experiments - with a high amount of risk vs. reward of course.  If the experiment goes wrong, then the player could potentially die.  However, if the experiment succeeds, they gain great recognition, and get a big reward (likely related to the experiment), in addition to a pretty big boost to their skills.  

The success would involve some amount of randomness, but would also rely heavily on the players' skills in research and the like.  Perhaps that could even be a specific skill area - Experimental Project Research or something like that.

~Brian
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:56:10 am »
Well, how much more reward do they need, other than "You now have access to technology no one else has. Yaaay for you." ? I mean, their skills will increase (due to the difficulty of the task involved) and whatever doesn't kill them makes them stronger... right?

I don't think we need to have a specific skills area for this, just require other skills areas that relate to it.

Side note: I think it would be funny to see someone testing a new propulsion technology.... and have something go wrong, and it throws them back into the past like 30,000 years.... Hehe. I'm so sadistic. :-P

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:52:54 pm »
Player gets in cockpit.

Player turns on engine.

Player's ship starts to fly.
Audience:  "ooooh..."

Player's ship sputters, then flies in a sudden burst of speed while spiraling uncontrollably.
Player's ship explodes into a fireball of death and destruction.
Player dies, has to recreate character from scratch (with a -10 INT for stupidity in the last life).
Audience: "WHOA, COOL!"

Sadistic?  You haven't seen sadistic...

Anyways.
~Brian
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal