Author Topic: Use of Karma  (Read 6644 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Use of Karma
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:44:52 pm »
After smiting [GoRC]STALION for the spam thread, I got to thinking: We still haven't nailed down what the karma on the forums should represent, or who should be able to smite / applaud whom, or anything like that.

So I figured I'd ask: What are some ideas for uses for Karma (including "ignoring the damn thing")? Who should be able to use it? How seriously should it be taken?

Lemme know what y'all think.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline PieceMaker

• GN:EF Subcommander
  • Captain
  • I'm behind you. No really, look... Haha...shmuck!
    • View Profile
Re: Use of Karma
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:55:42 pm »
I think it should be used as sort of a user rating where people can see how the people who have access to the karma meter like that certain person. They can put positive if they like what a certain person has been doing or negative if they don't like the way they conduct themselves. As for who has access to it, I think it should be the moderators and people who the moderators trust.
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:44:29 pm »
I have to agree with piece on that.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:57:58 pm »
I'm going to add this mode: http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=192 so that we can atleast track Karma, and see which posts the person got smited for, or applauded for. Then, I think it should be used as 'feedback' the users can give each other on thier posts. We can also see who's being smitted alot.

That's the words from on high. I'm going to reset everyone's Karma to zero, after installing this. No admins messing with it anymore!
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline PieceMaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 07:24:31 pm »
Awww, I wanted -600 karma.
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 08:00:58 pm »
I think it'd be interesting to have people with a certain ratio of karma or something put into a monthly drawing for some shit.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 08:07:19 pm »
Hrm. I think that'll lead to too many problems. First, what are they drawing for.

Second, and more importantly, we have to then decide who can use karma. If it's everybody, then this is straight out - people will get their friends to up their karma to keep them in the drawing (especially if better karma ratio implies better odds); on the flip side, people will spam the "smite" button for people they don't like to try to knock them out of the drawing.

On the other hand, if only admins can do that, then we *will* get accused of favoritism - "why did you applaud his shitty comment and not applaud mine?! I should have been in that drawing!" and other whiny crap comments that I don't want to deal with.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 08:15:14 pm »
Hrm. I think that'll lead to too many problems. First, what are they drawing for.

Second, and more importantly, we have to then decide who can use karma. If it's everybody, then this is straight out - people will get their friends to up their karma to keep them in the drawing (especially if better karma ratio implies better odds); on the flip side, people will spam the "smite" button for people they don't like to try to knock them out of the drawing.

On the other hand, if only admins can do that, then we *will* get accused of favoritism - "why did you applaud his shitty comment and not applaud mine?! I should have been in that drawing!" and other whiny crap comments that I don't want to deal with.
Definitely.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 08:29:05 pm »
I agree. No drawings. I think that Karma is nothing more than feedback. now that you have to put a reason in... well then you'll know why people applauded, or smited you.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline PieceMaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 08:44:36 pm »
That sounds good.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 08:58:02 pm »
guess I shoulda marked that with a [sarcasm] tag
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:45:31 pm »
Might have helped. :P

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:02:12 pm »
And be deprived of the pleasure I get watching you guys squirm beneath a logistical nightmare?

Not a chance in hell.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 12:43:47 am »
Evil. Pure evil.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 08:32:53 am »
"If you could lower the sheet of lead"

"Stop repressing my culture you ethnocentric bitch!!"

If you don't get it, go read Order of the Stick.

Offline [GoRC]STALION

• Lieutenant
  • Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace... Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 11:40:57 am »
just out of curiosity wat is karma???
Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 02:30:40 pm »

<------------right here

The values at the left side of the screen that say karma.  [under them it says smite and applaud if that helps too]