Author Topic: violence...  (Read 6000 times)

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
violence...
« on: January 22, 2006, 08:12:17 pm »
Something that just came to mind for me...in the fps mode of precursors, how violent will it be? Will it be realistically violent, overly violent, or unrealistically nonviolent?  (I really don't have any preference...)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: violence...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:17:49 pm »
I want to have violence settings. By default, I think it will be either realistically violent, or nonviolent. I don't think it will be overly violent even as an option.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 11:49:19 pm »
Extreme, senseless violence isn't worth much, but realistic violence can be. I don't think we need to throw in violence for its own sake; it should either be part of the storytelling, or done for realism's sake.

I second the selection option, as well.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:10:52 am »
If at all possible you ought make it where you have three classes of AI - friendly, neutral, unfriendly.  Neutral could be provoked into an attack but it would take a while.  Unfriendly . . . well . . . just sneeze and see how many of them want to rip your head off.  I think the violence should be determined by the action required.

In fact I believe that the Army Rangers call this "Violence of Action"
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 05:00:27 am »
Ok. I agree about the overly violent games, it really isn't worth it...that is one of the reasons I look down (among other things) on the GTA series...[IE- if you shoot someone in the head, it blows off.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 05:01:44 am »
Ok. I agree about the overly violent games, it really isn't worth it...that is one of the reasons I look down (among other things) on the GTA series...[IE- if you shoot someone in the head, it blows off.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 12:47:52 am »
What's with the double post, ryguy?

Anyways, I don't think we have to eliminate all violence - a person's head blowing off may be something we can turn on / off in-game. On the other hand, it may be just plain too complex to implement that aspect of it, so we just leave that aspect of realism out.

I think we should go for realism, but I don't think we have to take it to the point of gratuitous gore. (Hostel is a good example of the latter - see my review (posts on 2 forums that say the same thing)).

And don't worry, I'll be posting my review of Underworld 2 soon. Maybe go see it again with Caenus, since he was talking about that tonight. Then do a review. Anyways.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 01:56:24 am »
Shyeah - I'm looking forward to it.  I think realism is one thing, but hyperreality can be too much. 

Saving Private Ryan is considered to be one of the most graphic movies of all time, but it's honestly just REAL.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 02:14:08 am »
Agreed.

morgul and whitelynx need to fly down to watch Underworld with us. It was GOOOD.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 05:21:40 am »

Saving Private Ryan is considered to be one of the most graphic movies of all time, but it's honestly just REAL.

Yeah, I agree.  In order to represent wars best you have to make it look realistically violent.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 12:46:50 pm »
Precisely - but battle in a game is not the same as warfare.  Anyone could play a violent game - there's a reason not anyone goes to war.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 02:24:53 pm »
I agree.

Offline Oceanus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 02:24:01 am »
Hmm. ships blowing up in space doesnt seem very violent to me. unless your a kid who has never seen any videos games.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 05:07:43 am »
I realize this...but I was mostly talking about the FPS mode.

Offline Oceanus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 04:31:06 pm »
Turning off gore if there is any should be a priority but we are getting ahead of ourselves by thinking of this so soon. We havent even gotten a fully working server that can handle anyone.