Author Topic: Reticle for each ship?  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Keith

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Reticle for each ship?
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:54:20 pm »
Is there going to be one reticle for every ship? Or are all of the ships going to have unique reticles?

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Reticle for each ship?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 10:38:05 pm »
I'd think the ships would individually have reticules.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 09:09:01 am »
Yeah...and if not,, hopefully for each race individually.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
That's kind of what I was thinking, by race.  But morgul will have to be the one to make that call.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 11:24:21 am »
That's kind of what I was thinking, by race.  But morgul will have to be the one to make that call.

Yepp.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:45:30 pm »
Well, I can see a general style for each race, but I'd think either each ship or each weapon would have its own reticule. I'd think weapon would be the best, since that indicates which weapon you are using - makes it more intuitive when switching weapons, rather than having to look down to see which one you have selected (or, worse, keep track of them mentally).
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 01:03:11 pm »
Yeah, kinda like how HALO shows which weapon you have based on reticle.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 01:16:38 pm »
Yeah, maybe kinda establish a base reticle for each race, then develope specific ship reticles off of that or something.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 02:03:20 pm »
Exactly - there should be a general "theme" for a given race, but the reticules (and most other visual information) should be variations on this theme.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 09:46:57 pm »
i'm very glad that everyone has come to the same conclusion as I've reached on my own. ;D So, consider it 'official'.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 01:12:40 am »
The morgul Seal of Approval.

Difficult to obtain, and very pretty.

* contingencyplan drools at the site of it...
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Neo

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 08:19:44 am »
Wow, I was tlaking with morgul about this in november. This is WAY old news. I.E. My different race based design on HUDs.

~Reynard

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 09:48:50 am »
Wow, I was tlaking with morgul about this in november. This is WAY old news. I.E. My different race based design on HUDs.

~Reynard

Not exactly. We talked about different huds, not different reticles in the same hud. There is a difference.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Neo

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 06:24:45 pm »
If you want to be Technical. :P

And seeing as how you are programing a game you probly would. I mean you are friends with brian. O.o

~Reynard

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 09:37:19 pm »
Hey, I resemble that remark!
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal