Author Topic: HUD COntest Design: Hudcomp7  (Read 4158 times)

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
HUD COntest Design: Hudcomp7
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:47:24 pm »
Ok, here is my latest addition.  I tried to make everything small, and transparent just enough to be able to see behind them.  Tell me what you think:

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: HUD COntest Design: Hudcomp7
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:38:02 pm »
Much better. See how much more you can see of the screen, and how that would definitely help you in a dogfight?

Personally, I'm not sure why, but the overall feel of the HUD just isn't "doing it" for me - they just seem too blocky and not sci-fi enough - but I don't have a concrete idea of what would.  You might try plzying with some other graphical representations, if you want.

Either way, though, it's getting much better. Good job.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 02:26:27 pm »
Tell me if this is any better, I tried to add some more details to make it look more scfi-ish:

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:00:18 pm »
Best one I've seen you do yet.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 11:24:55 pm »
Random idea. Model a HUD in 3D studio, render it, and then do touchup in photoshop.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:58:07 am »
Zarkin' A!

If you don't get that, you suck.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Neo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 09:37:46 pm »
Random idea. Model a HUD in 3D studio, render it, and then do touchup in photoshop.

http://forums.g33xnexus.com/index.php/topic,324.0.html

Doesn't seem so random now, does it?

~Reynard

BTW if anyone (looks at contingency and caenus) of you wants to help me get crystal space on my comp and compiled I could (eventualy) re-do said post and fix it 3d.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 01:08:23 am »
Talk to contingency - I'm sure I could do it, but I have no prior experience in it.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 02:15:50 pm »

http://forums.g33xnexus.com/index.php/topic,324.0.html

Doesn't seem so random now, does it?

~Reynard

BTW if anyone (looks at contingency and caenus) of you wants to help me get crystal space on my comp and compiled I could (eventualy) re-do said post and fix it 3d.

Umm.. hold on. Let me explain something. CrystalSpace is the game engime... it's not a development tool for the art. It's not what you might be expecting.. it's simply a collection of C++ functions... no GUI or anything. You also don't need it for this... instead, get Blender (www.blender3d.org) and use that. We can export directly from Blender to a format that can be read in by the game. (well, with a plugin installed, but we'll figure that out once we get there.)

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Neo

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 07:57:16 pm »
Ah, I see. The way it has been talked about in the past made it seem like it was the 3d studio. I guess I miss read it all. ok, I'll get right to work on that. (right after calculus)