Author Topic: Borrowing from Parsec  (Read 3246 times)

PhinnFort

Borrowing from Parsec
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:15:17 am »
Parsec is a space game which I think has been abandoned, right after it was released as an open source project. It has a lot of models and a pretty nice HUD.
Anyone know what kind of license the artwork in Parsec is under? I think it is on www.parsec.org

Screenie:http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2001/01/007-software/parsec.jpg

-PhinnFort

Offline Oceanus

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Borrowing from Parsec
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 11:21:03 am »
I never really heard of it. If it is open source like you said it was then there should not be any problem getting ideas off them. But jacking their content is not really a good thing.  :)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:28:30 am »
Yeah, I've gotta second that.  I think we've got enough concept artists to come up with some GREAT stuff on our own.  However, gleaning some stuff from the open source would be cool.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:51:45 pm »
One thing to realize with these kinds of things (and realize that I haven't looked at their website yet, so I may just be talking out of my ass here) is that companies that open-source their defunct games rarely release the content under a similar license. What this means is that you can download and play with the code all you want, but you have to obtain the content (the pretty pictures and maps and whatnot) through some means. I'm pretty sure that's how they did Quake 2, for instance.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

PhinnFort

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:17:37 pm »
It seems that someone is trying to start up the development again (according to a post on the sf forums...)
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1386881&forum_id=264873

-PhinnFort