Author Topic: Short Read. Funny.  (Read 10171 times)

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
Re: Short Read. Funny.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 05:55:10 am »
I sometimes wonder about that, though - we'll likely be having kids on these forums. I think the forum has a language editor, but should we rely solely on that? I should put this in a separate thread, but later (and I can move posts over at will - nice things about being a forum admin). But do you think we should be cleaning up our language here?

Personally, I'm torn. I like the ability to express ourselves however we choose (within some modicum of reason), but at the same time, people will be reading these forums to get a picture of what we're like. So what do y'all think?

Hmmm...I'm thinking I'd have to agree with Contingency on that one. It would probably make GNE seem less professional...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 05:57:47 am by ryguy_1617 »

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 03:57:01 pm »
Here's my take: We're real people. We really talk like this. We have these opinions, and we express ourselves as such. When we need to be profesional, we'll be profesional. Look at the development forums... very profesional. Here, in an open forum, people are going to talk however they feel like talking. I think that our customers (gamers) will feel much better about buying a game where the designers chill, and talk about things, and hang out with them. They know the people they're giving their money to! Can you say that about WoW, or Halo? Nope!

So I believe that things are fine... we'll just have to put a disclaimer, or something. And, just to let you know, both of my kid sisters have read threads on the site, so I can understand people's concerns.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 04:37:38 pm »
I see your point too...we don't want to be all-corporate people who dont relate to the customers in any way apart from purchases either...

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 06:29:03 pm »
Yeah, this forum (and the company) has a decidely non-suit-and-tie feel, and I like that aspect. A disclaimer and a word filter should be sufficient - have the word filter on by default, and let the person change it if they want. But put in the disclaimer that if they change it, then the responsibility's on them.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 06:33:35 pm »
Yea, i really like the professional, but comfortable aspect of GNE, and I think that is one of the main attributes that helps to make us unique.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 11:27:25 pm »
One of the customizable things about simple machines is something that contingency already alluded to.  Individual word filters.  On GoRC, if it's on, it's on.  No individual jack-nada!

I personally enjoy being able to express myself freely, and even use a modicum of language in the book I'm writing.  I don't mind in the least though if someone wants to censor my language - that's their right too.

I think it'd be a good idea to set the word filter to change swear words to euphemisms rather than stuff like *expletive deleted* or whatever.  That way, the general spirit of the post remains. 

For example, I said in an earlier post:

"I know my shit"

The filter would make it:

"I know my crap"

Weird . . . yes . . . but effective.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.