Author Topic: soundtracks  (Read 7163 times)

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
soundtracks
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:33:39 pm »
In precursors...in addition to default game music...will there be an option to create your own custom soundtrack from music from your pc?

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 03:54:14 pm »
I would like there to be. We've mentioned it before, and I don't see why we can't have an in game MP3/OGG player. Find us some good free libraries, and we'll use 'em... maybe include ripping. Dunno there.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:56:29 pm »
ok...cool.  This would be a definite plus for customization and for ppl who "need their music".

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:04 pm »
Agreed.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Neo

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 06:26:36 pm »
Yeah, Eve is a game very simaler to the precursors flight part of the game. It had some of the best sound tracks: Red Glowing Dust, Omens, Lost Wormhole, I Saw Your Ship, Hidden Mementos, Glorious Future, Below the Asteroids. They were all done by Jon Hallur. Nice stuff. If I were better with my music edit/composing program I would make some of my own, but I have found that compisition isn't one of my strong points.

~Reynard

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:20:02 pm »
Not a bad idea.  We also need to be sure that the default music extends throughout the game so that if some users choose not to listen to their own music they don't end up listening to dead air.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Oceanus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 10:01:50 pm »
It would be common sense to include default music. :D

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 11:03:57 pm »
I didn't say you wouldn't include default music, I said you need to make sure that it extends to cover the full stretch of game sequence.  I've played games with background music that suddenly disappears for several minutes.  It's weird.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

PhinnFort

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:29:30 pm »
What libraries do you use already?
If you don't have any libraries already which support ogg/mp3, you could always use libogg from xiph.org(see http://xiph.org/downloads/ )
For mp3, you could probably use mpglib from http://www.mpg123.de/

-PhinnFort

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 11:23:46 am »
Right now I don't think that we're using any libs for mp3 support.... but I'll keep those in mind when we start looking into it.

--Chris

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 06:37:18 pm »
OGG and FLAC (just found out about this recently) would be my first choices - open-sourced, royalty-free (to my knowledge). We'd kick money back their way, but it's easier to deal with that more on our own terms instead of having to apply for a license and whatnot ahead of time.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

PhinnFort

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 04:37:08 am »
I don't think you need FLAC for a soundtrack. OGG has more than enough quality (much better than mp3, anyways). And you shouldn't be sitting listening to the music anyways, should you?
And have you got anyone who can compose music?

-PhinnFort

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 10:06:52 am »
[...]And have you got anyone who can compose music?[...]

Kinda. whitelynx can do it, and so can a few other people, but no one *officially*.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 12:24:05 pm »
I can help - I've been a musician for 14 years.  In fact, I've got some great piano compositions sitting around somewhere.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 12:50:41 pm »
my younger brother is pretty good at playing the piano and is learning electric guitar.  I think he's pretty good (mostly, but I know close to nothing about music so my opinion is NOT expert :P).

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 02:38:26 pm »
I'm a classical guitarist and pianist.  I also compose stuff for the piano primarily.  Morgul, I'll try to get a rough recording of some piano stuff.  I think you'll like it.

Neo

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 11:16:06 pm »
Though I cannot compose. I can replicate and add "that little extra" part that seems to be missing. Dawn is a decent enough composer as well. One of these days he and I are going to do some composing together, him for his ability to creat and my for my ability to add to what he makes. Perhaps Caenus, Dawn, and I should get togher for a jam session / creation session. It'd be cool to see what we could come up with in the ambient side of things.

~Reynard

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 01:53:47 am »
shoot yeah.  Name the time and place J.

PhinnFort

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 12:00:25 pm »
I play guitar (for 7-8ish years), but I don't think I have the skills (or resources) to make a soundtrack, at all.

-PhinnFort

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 09:00:06 pm »
Perhaps Caenus, Dawn, and I should get togher for a jam session / creation session. It'd be cool to see what we could come up with in the ambient side of things.
If I'm in town if/when you guys end up doing this, invite me! I play a number of instruments (I generally claim around 8, but it depends on how you define "play") and I'm somewhat versed in composition and arrangement, as well as the recording end of things... if you guys ever get up to western New York, I have a studio in my parents' basement.

As far as format support for the game, while we wouldn't want to distribute the music in FLAC format, there's no reason not to include support for it.

Dave
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche