Author Topic: RolePlaying System  (Read 12244 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Re: RolePlaying System
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 01:12:24 am »
Lol. Wow, man. Just wow.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 08:01:13 am »
Heh - yeah.  That was fun.  I was focused on like 8 billion things at once - I was watching an excellent production (with perhaps the greatest set I've ever seen on the college level), I was focused on my fiancee sitting next to me, AND I was working on the exponential growth model and trying to make it limit without resorting to population growth model (which isn't as stable as I'd like for the skill set equation).
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Neo

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 02:01:15 pm »
I think at this point eveyone is asking the question "Why?".

~N e o 8)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006, 03:06:52 pm »
Perhaps, but at least it solved some of the issues Morgul was having.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 05:06:35 pm »
Perhaps, but at least it solved some of the issues Morgul was having.

Which, I assure you, is all I care about.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 05:53:09 pm »
*warm fuzzy feelings*

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 06:27:38 pm »
Heh - yeah.  That was fun.  I was focused on like 8 billion things at once - I was watching an excellent production (with perhaps the greatest set I've ever seen on the college level), I was focused on my fiancee sitting next to me, AND I was working on the exponential growth model and trying to make it limit without resorting to population growth model (which isn't as stable as I'd like for the skill set equation).

You're an insane frakking nerd. Period. End of story.

Over all, skills will grow over time (with use), but as they increase, their growth will decrease. For example, if it takes two days of training to get from 40 to 50 in a skill, it will take four days to get from 50 to 60. Eventually, it will naturally platue at a 'max value'. this max is based on each race. Let's say a human's 'break shit' skill is at 95 (max 100), and a Sooni's 'break shit' skill is at 95 (max 200). It will take much more training for the human to get from 95 to 98 then it will for the Sooni. This is because the Human's near his limit, while the Sooni's got quite a ways to go before she's close to the 'knife edge'.

As an additional idea: what about special skills or abilities that are unlocked for a Player absolutely (or very closely) maxing out their skill in a particular area - they become a Master in that area, and gain some advantages (and possibly some disadvantages) for succeeding so well in that area. Obviously, each individual Player will be unable to max out some particular skills (for instance, I could never max out a Medicine skill or something like that, but I could max out a Computer skill); this would depend on intuition and such largely, so that people have to think about what their character's good at before trying to max out that ability. Additionally, once the Player has reached Master status, it lasts for a while before the decay starts to kick in so that they don't have to worry about "oh noes, I have to find somewhere to use my ability before I lose 2 points and lose teh madd skillz!"

Thoughts?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 08:04:24 pm »
We might create a focus save that will stop the decay property on that one skill

Neo

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 08:15:18 pm »
You and your focuses...

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 09:28:36 pm »
lol

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 07:14:59 pm »
I'd say a limited number of allowed skill focuses depending on what type of character would probably take care of this pretty nicely. Not entirely sure what the number of focuses would be based on... possibly race, or a "memory" stat or something like that... or maybe you just automatically have a "focus" for any skill where both the level of the skill and your character's aptitude (or instinct, or whatever you want to call it) for that skill are relatively high.
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 10:28:28 pm »
Better yet, why not have a mana tank?