Author Topic: General Update  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
General Update
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:38:44 am »
I figured it was about time for an update on what we've been doing, since it seems like our releases have gone down the tubes.So, here's the scoop.

Windows Problems: We're still having linking problems on windows. Translation: Game won't run until we sort out what's wrong with our networking library. I'm *really* tempted to ditch this one, and go for another one. We're (slowly) working on it.

Networking: Networking works like a dream... on linux. It's seriously some of the smoothest networking I've ever seen. It's awesome. Flying around and slamming into people is waaaaaay cooler than I thought it would be.

Targeting: Well, we're getting targeting into the game. Pretty soon you'll be able to select stuff, tell where it is in the game, and possibly even be able to get important information about your target. After that, we'll be working on capital ship movement, AND the Fleet Commander mode where you can command more than one ship at a time. (RTS-style controls.) It will be wicked fun.

Coming up in the next few weeks might even be combat of a sort. We'll have to see what we can come up with. Things are looking bright for the summer. My goal is to get some basic FPS and RTS gameplay in by August, along with combat and network chat. From there we'll focus on charachter creation, expanding the world some, and maybe even do subspace. Artwork will then be a bigger priority. Once we reach that stage, we'll have to actually start designing the character interaction and MMO gameplay aspects, along with refining combat in all three modes. Initially though, it's going to be like a giant deathmatch till we can give characters something to do other than fight. *shrugs*

--Chris
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 07:21:31 pm by whitelynx »
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: General Update
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:44:18 am »
Fighting's fine with me for now. Nothing like shooting your friends in a game you helped create! ;)

And to provide an update of my own: Got one more final left to go (tomorrow), then I'm gonna do some work for Cooke the rest of the week to make some $$ (since I haven't been putting in hours even for him the past couple weeks). Then, it'll be working for Cooke and working on Precursors. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting back to work on the game, and getting my part (Systems) working. For freaking finally.

Just thought I'd tack on where I am currently. Looking forward to the summer!
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:38:46 am »
Yeah . . . I just dropped 100 bucks on something I probably shouldn't have so I'm gonna be pretty busy trying to shuffle money around.  However, I finish finals tomorrow and I'll finish up moving over this week. 

MY INTERNET IS UP!!!!  WOOOOT!!!

After that, I intend to crack out the sketchbook at least once if not twice a week and crank something out for morgul.  The webcomic will move a little faster than it has been, but really slowly none the less. 

Oh, and cplan - don't think I'll be able to make the movie tomorrow, sorry dude.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 07:23:11 pm »
Networking: Networking works like a dream... on linux. It's seriously some of the smoothest networking I've ever seen. It's awesome. Flying around and slamming into people is waaaaaay cooler than I thought it would be.
I can vouch for this. Whenever I get burnt out with working on the game now, all I have to do is fire it up and fly around the asteroids a bit.
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche