Author Topic: Descent: Freespace  (Read 6759 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Descent: Freespace
« on: January 12, 2006, 01:50:17 pm »
Well, Caenus mentioned Descent: Freespace, and I forgot how much I miss that game. So, I decided that since all but one of my CD's were stolen... I'd use Bittorrent to get CD1 and the Expansion pack. While I was at it, I figured I'd be a bad boy, and get Freespace 2.

Now, what I would like, is anyone who play these games to help me come up with a sort of 'feature' list, to give us ideas of thigns for inclusion in Precursors. Also, aside from that, let's just chat about two kickass games.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Descent: Freespace
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 02:22:36 pm »
Freespace definitely rocked my socks.  It was hard as Hell though towards the end.  I'll have to get it working again in order to play it and put in my opinion.  Like I said in the other thread, if you want something as a backup to the BitTorrent, I'll try and copy my discs for you.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 07:37:54 pm »
what is freespace?

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 08:01:29 pm »
http://volition-inc.com/fs/screens.cfm

Freespace is a spaceflight sim that runs along a VERY well developed storyline.  It's based in the Descent Engine.  It's great. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

PhinnFort

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 09:46:27 am »
I love(d) it. I never had it myself, but I borrowed it from my cousin.
edit: also found something interesting; they're porting freespace2 to linux.
http://icculus.org/freespace2/index.php

-PhinnFort
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 10:02:58 am by PhinnFort »

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 11:26:50 am »
Hey Morgul - you mentioned getting ahold of FS2 - can you get me a copy?

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 10:34:38 am »
SWEET!!!! Freespace and Freespace 2 are ported to linux! (As soon as they're downloaded I'll try the installers and report back). This is really kewl since I have better 3D on this laptop under linux then under windows. Sw33t! I never would have thoughts to look for it.

Hey Morgul - you mentioned getting ahold of FS2 - can you get me a copy?

Sure! Make you a deal I'll get you those if you get me the POD cd. I'll give you instructions on how to FTP them to the site as soon as I create a FTP user for you. We'll have to trasnfer Freespace 2 a CD at a time, so it might take a day or two to get the whole thing, but that's ok.

--Chris
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 10:58:57 am »
Sounds good.  Just PM me with an FTP user and I'll filezilla the POD zip to you.  Then you can talk me through FS2.  Hopefully I can burn it to a CD, because I don't have too much room on my HD.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 12:10:43 am »
That's why you get an external, like I did. :)
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 02:09:56 am »
$$$$$

or rather, the lack thereof

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 06:38:19 pm »
Lack of $$$ is always a bad thing.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »
w00t! I got Freespace and Freespace 2.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Gray Haired
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 04:30:40 am »
Wow, what a great game. I spent alot of time playing that game. Both versions. Although I still haven't gotten around to beating Silent Threat(oh well).

Anyway, features that should be included.

1). Robust mission editor with an easy to learn intuitive interface.
2). Capital ships are exceptionaly large and when they are in combat with one another
    you *really* don't want to get in the way.

I'll put up more later as I think of it.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:05:51 am »
Heh, no kidding.

Man, Silent Threat took me forever to beat.

Offline [GoRC]STALION

• Lieutenant
  • Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace... Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 11:41:56 am »
sound pretty cool... but i dont know if it would keep me entertained... (espesially on the days i dont take my pills.... *ADHD*)
Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 12:10:32 pm »
I'll bet it would - it's a fast paced game, not hard to concentrate on at all.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 04:10:02 pm »
Hmm... something neat to note is that Freespace 2 is now opensource. The opened it up to the public!

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 08:10:56 am »
Interesting . . . very interesting.  I'll bet you could design an ungodly space battle, morgul.

PhinnFort

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 11:53:23 am »
Is it only the game engine, or the whole freaking artsee part?

-PhinnFort