Author Topic: Dev: Fonts  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Dawn

• Little Pink Man in Pink
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Dawnet
Dev: Fonts
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:47:03 pm »
Ok, One thing I would like to point out is that in Artwork, everyone is creating concepts for game screens such as the login screen and the main page and all that but, they are all in differant fonts. Obviously, for the main game screens we want there to be a contigous font for everything. Can we go ahead and decide on what this font will be and then post the ttf here so that all of the artists will have the same stuff to work with.

We may also want to decide on a color scheme.
Daddy, What does formatting drive c: mean?

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
Re: Dev: Fonts
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 02:19:22 pm »
Yea, the font thing seems obvious...even though the thought never crossed my mind.  But, I did think about what our color scheme should be some, even though I haven't really come up with anything atm.  But, I think that it should be able to kind of have a cold feel to it, considering that the game is in space...or dark and isolated or something.  (e.g: blue, black, purple, darkish green, gray, rust, etc.)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:11:28 pm »
Well, we need to find fonts that are legal for our use, or have someone make them. We do need to make a decision on this.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:36:54 pm »
With all the graphic designers you've got here, I'm sure making them wouldn't be hard.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:56:41 pm »
Well, They need to prove that to me. I want a font that's very clean (sans serif) very easy to read at small and large sizes, and monospace. I will also accept a non monospace version (could be useful).
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

PhinnFort

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
Is there any programs for making fonts (for linux)? I could probably take a shot of making a font. If not, there's a lot of royalty free fonts out there.

-PhinnFort

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:26 am »
Here's the ones I know of:

1)FontForge  - http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
2)Inkscpae - http://www.inkscape.org/

Inkspace is only an SVG editor, so I imagine you'd have to run the files through fontforge to turn it into a TTF font.

PhinnFort

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 04:40:06 am »
I downloaded FontForge, and it's really easy to use, depending on what you want. I already made one font, really silly-looking. I think it would be easier to take a font which is already public domain.
(And I already got Karbon14 with KOffice, which is almost identical to Inkscape)

-PhinnFort

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 10:04:04 am »
Karbon14? Never used it. I'll have to look in to it...