Author Topic: Favorite Quotes  (Read 104004 times)

Offline Guardian

• Watching Over You
  • Captain
  • Watching over you.
    • View Profile
    • www.deviantart.com
Re: Favorite Quotes
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:57 am »
(Gotta be edison.) "A Chinese wiseman one said the greatest puzzles in life are found in life itself. I however believe the greatest puzzles in life are found on the back of cereal boxes."  :o
Peace is a lie, There is only Passion
Through Passion I gain Strength
Through Strength I gain Power
Through Power I gain Victory
Through Victory my chains are broken

The world of man must come to a quick, decisive end. Lest we waste our time on you any longer. ~The Fallen Angel
Falling from grace isn't nearly as painful as surviving the impact. ~The Tormented Angel

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2006, 09:59:16 am »
Well, simple logic. Einstien is out simply because it's not his style of speaking. He was a german native, who learned english, and who spoke very intelligently. Some of his quotes reflect this:

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Edison, while a great man, he two wasn't contemporary enough (I beleive) for the quote to be accurate. Look at some of his quotes:

"My main purpose in life is to make enough money to create ever more inventions.... The dove is my emblem.... I want to save and advance human life, not destroy it.... I am proud of the fact that I have never invented weapons to kill...."

"I never perfected an invention that I did not think about in terms of the service it might give others... I find out what the world needs, then I proceed to invent...."

"My principal business consists of giving commercial value to the brilliant, but misdirected, ideas of others.... Accordingly, I never pick up an item without thinking of how I might improve it."

My vote lies with Asimov. He was a writer, and I KNOW he held views like this... Just read his version of the goose that laid the golden egg.

So, I say: Asimov.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2006, 02:05:45 pm »
I'm gonna have to put my vote on Asimov.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2006, 10:31:18 pm »
Well chosen.

However, morgul beat you to it, so he wins the free food.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2006, 11:02:27 pm »
w00t! I knew I read that man for a reason... FREE FOOD!
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2006, 01:31:19 am »
Well, though, I'd say you should give it to ryguy - he got the initial values narrowed down, and then guessed correctly. Had he guessed incorrectly out of those three, and somebody had guessed correctly, then it's up for grabs.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2006, 02:41:20 pm »
Hmmm . . . true . . .

We'll figure it out.  Caenus needs money before buying someone food.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2006, 04:55:24 pm »
Better to give it to morgul -- he did get it first.  :)

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2006, 08:57:52 am »
i say give it to ryguy cuz chris gets more than enough food....*grin*
~Erica~

"if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2006, 12:42:51 pm »
I say let them eat cake. Not that it has anything to do with little purple aliens, or anything.

Oh, and I know the bove had no bearing on the conversation. That's perfectly fine by me.

--Chris

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2006, 09:06:12 am »
can i have one of the purple aliens? Please! they'll go perfect with the fat blue people! If you want to know, chris, ask David Grenier....he made them up. i doubt he'll remember, though.
~Erica~

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:35 am »
Here's one i found in a book if you can tell me what code it's in and what it is then you get gloating rights for a day. here it is
002110 Goto 013500
013500 Peek 16388,236
013510 Poke 16399,239
there you go.....have at it!
~Erica~

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2006, 11:33:53 am »
Well, gee, that's BASIC. (pun intended.)

--Chris

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2006, 01:58:08 pm »
but what does it say...brother mine? oh and a new quote
"cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" william Shakespear
and some isaac asimov quotes:
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
The first law of dietetics seems to be: if it tastes good, it's bad for you.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
 All sorts of computer errors are now turning up. You'd be surprised to know the number of doctors who claim they are treating pregnant men.
~Erica~

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2006, 10:33:37 am »
amazing new quotes...not really but hey!
Lockjaw means never having to say you're sorry.
Never leave off til tomorrow what you can aviod altogether.
~Erica~

Offline CaptBewil

• Developers
  • Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2006, 03:08:23 pm »
Right before mid-term elections here in the states's:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2006, 01:57:11 am »
While true, there are those who DO spout very hateful things at soldiers for simply doing their jobs.  It's like religion, pacifism is great, but don't condemn the man who relies on violence of action.

Great quote though.

Offline CaptBewil

• Developers
  • Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2006, 12:02:50 pm »
I just thought it was ironic because the Bush Administration used the 9/11 attacks to rally the people to their own will and then denounced the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.  It's actually sad because they took the rational of a Nazi to achieve their goals.  How twisted is that?

The soldier issue I'm torn on.  Soldiers can lay down their arms and walk away at anytime.  HOWEVER, the government makes this difficult for several reasons:

1.  To a large degree they brainwash and censor the information the soldiers receive.

2.  They charge the soldiers with a military crime if they walk off the battlefield.  What's terribly wrong with this is that the military tribunal does not take into account rather the war is popular or not NOR that soldiers own moral or ethical reasons for laying down his/her arms.

What ends up happening is that the ones who do not feel they are rightfully serving the will of the people with their actions, wait until their contract runs out to leave.  Of course, since this has become a common occurrence, the government has restricted their ability to do so by extending their contracts (regardless of the legality and taking advantage of the soldiers ignorance of law).  So there's a lot at play here that complicates the issue.  However, it is never okay to 'spout very hateful things at soldiers' for any reason.  The people that do so should use pamphlets to inform the soldiers.  On the otherside of the arguement, though, the ussual rational of those that 'spout very hateful things at solderis' is to strongly reinforce the unpopularity with the war in the hopes that they'll say "enough is enough, this isn't worth the unpopularity I face at home, I'm laying down my weapon and facing my (nobel) consequences like a man."  Not to say I agree with it...I'm just saying...

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2006, 04:42:42 pm »
[...]The soldier issue I'm torn on.  Soldiers can lay down their arms and walk away at anytime.

Well, yes and no. They CAN lay down their arms in the middle of a fire fight, but they WILL get shot. (Possibly by other soldiers who see this as dereliction of duty.) Which is nobler, laying down your life for your beliefs, or fighting for them? IMHO, they are equal, but some view death as a coward's way out.

HOWEVER, the government makes this difficult for several reasons:

1.  To a large degree they brainwash and censor the information the soldiers receive.

While true, ask any soldier in Iraq currently if they think we should be there. Most will say no. That tells me that they're free thinking enough, and bright enough to develop their own conclusions and opinions based on their experience.

2.  They charge the soldiers with a military crime if they walk off the battlefield.  What's terribly wrong with this is that the military tribunal does not take into account rather the war is popular or not NOR that soldiers own moral or ethical reasons for laying down his/her arms.

Very true. There are reasons for charging them with a crime, and honestly those reason are sound, and I wouldn't wish it differently, but that doesn't make it 'good'. And just imagine the tribunal's task... if they let Soldier A get away with walking off the battlefield, then how can they charge Soldier B who goes AWOL, getting his entire squad killed? What moral ground do they have to stand on? Tough call, imho.

What ends up happening is that the ones who do not feel they are rightfully serving the will of the people with their actions, wait until their contract runs out to leave.  Of course, since this has become a common occurrence, the government has restricted their ability to do so by extending their contracts (regardless of the legality and taking advantage of the soldiers ignorance of law).  So there's a lot at play here that complicates the issue.  However, it is never okay to 'spout very hateful things at soldiers' for any reason.  The people that do so should use pamphlets to inform the soldiers.  On the otherside of the arguement, though, the ussual rational of those that 'spout very hateful things at solderis' is to strongly reinforce the unpopularity with the war in the hopes that they'll say "enough is enough, this isn't worth the unpopularity I face at home, I'm laying down my weapon and facing my (nobel) consequences like a man."  Not to say I agree with it...I'm just saying...

To me, risking your life for any cause, including immoral ones still retains a level of nobility. Now, when it comes to doing a the job of a soldier, on both sides I feel those who fight and die are a higher caliber of humanity then most. They may not be good men, they may not even be decent men; they are men willing to die because they are told to. That takes a special (if not disturbing) mentality, and most of the people I've met who've faced that have been better because of it. They might still not be good or just men, but they're more good, more just then if they'd never had to face death like that. That alone is why I think all soldiers should be treated with honor and respect.

As a side note, I'm also one who says a prayer for our enemy's safety as well as our own soldiers. If the Bush administration wants to call that unAmerican, then I think someone needs to sit down with the constitution, and brush up on his facts.                                                                                                                     

Offline CaptBewil

• Developers
  • Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2006, 07:41:31 pm »
Well, yes and no. They CAN lay down their arms in the middle of a fire fight, but they WILL get shot. (Possibly by other soldiers who see this as dereliction of duty.) Which is nobler, laying down your life for your beliefs, or fighting for them? IMHO, they are equal, but some view death as a coward's way out.

I mostly meant figuratively.  Anyone who did 'lay down their arms' (I think there's only been a handfull to do so thus far (mostly Officers)) would do so during 'down time'.  But I agree with what you said.  On a side note, though, where does Dereliction of Duty and Service to Country (or to it's will) begin and end when they conflict with each other?  I suppose that would be an arguement saved for during a Tribunal.  At any rate, the risk of being shot for Dereliction of Duty would also count as another reason for how the government (indirectly) makes it a difficult choice.

While true, ask any soldier in Iraq currently if they think we should be there. Most will say no. That tells me that they're free thinking enough, and bright enough to develop their own conclusions and opinions based on their experience.

Interestingly enough, another forum I belong to has a couple of regular members who are currently serving in Iraq and whom firmly believe and are committed to the Bush Administrations agenda.  Many people here even still believe we should remain 'until the job is done'.  Granted, that is changing now that CNN and others have stopped letting the government intimidate them in the last year and a half.  The government has many fronts in it's propaganda machine, which is what makes it so difficult to stop.  Again, I do agree with you on that, along with the US general population, soldiers serving in Iraq have started changing their opinion.  Most of them will likely wait out for their contract to expire versus going AWOL.

(It was the same way in the Vietnam War)

Very true. There are reasons for charging them with a crime, and honestly those reason are sound, and I wouldn't wish it differently, but that doesn't make it 'good'. And just imagine the tribunal's task... if they let Soldier A get away with walking off the battlefield, then how can they charge Soldier B who goes AWOL, getting his entire squad killed? What moral ground do they have to stand on? Tough call, imho.

Again, I agree.

To me, risking your life for any cause, including immoral ones still retains a level of nobility. Now, when it comes to doing a the job of a soldier, on both sides I feel those who fight and die are a higher caliber of humanity then most. They may not be good men, they may not even be decent men; they are men willing to die because they are told to. That takes a special (if not disturbing) mentality, and most of the people I've met who've faced that have been better because of it. They might still not be good or just men, but they're more good, more just then if they'd never had to face death like that. That alone is why I think all soldiers should be treated with honor and respect.

To a certain extent I would agree for which it applies.  There have been, however, numerous cases where the psycological trauma remains with them for their entire life.  This has (in some cases) turned good men bad, becoming members of the criminal population within 5 years after their return.  In other cases, such as for the majority of Marines (even if by a slim majority) are so brainwashed during 'boot camp' they are changed psycologically from the beginning (more so then other branches).  My brother, for instance, only saw a small amount of action during his 5 years (2 years spent stationed in Somalia).  Yet, he is far more arrogant, conceded, and tempromental then he ever was prior to entering service.  It may be sad, but as far as I'm concerned, the brother I admired and looked up to as a kid, died the day he stepped on that bus destined for Parris Island.

No doubt, all in all, it's a complex issue.  There are so many varibles and statistics to consider and it's very difficult to try and not make 'sweeping generalizations' and still address the real issues; all while acknowledging your respect for soldier's choices (or situation they were forced into).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 07:44:21 pm by CaptBewil »