Author Topic: Double post  (Read 7829 times)

Neo

Double post
« on: January 05, 2006, 09:33:44 am »
Brian asked in one of his post what the big deal about double posting is.
1. Well in a clan if you are trying to figure out how active a member is, then a good way to do so is usualy chekcing his post count. The more post, generaly the more active the member.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:40:41 am by Reynard »

Neo

Re: Double post
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:35:19 am »
2. Everytime a person double posts it brings the topic up to the top of the list, if it's nothing that anyone but one person wants to talk about it gets bothersome to have to skip over it every time you try to look for a popular or new topic.

Neo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:36:31 am »
3. If they have a signature of any lingth then you get a LARGE page of nothing but a few lines and signatures. Again, this makes it very bothersome to have to shift through and read.

Neo

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:37:43 am »
4. It increases a persons post count, making it seems as if they are active, when in fact they were either to lazy to use the edit button, of they deside not to. (unless the edit button is unavailbe)

Neo

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:39:30 am »
5. It makes the whole forums just look bad in general. I mean, here I have a topic that is just about as popular as any other, I've increased my post count, I've flooded the screen with my signature, I've said very little of any value (with the exception of illustrating my point) and here you are reading it. Was this REALY worth your time?

~Reynard

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 10:32:31 am »
I think what you're saying is valid, but I don't have a problem with a double post IF the first post has been unanswered for like two weeks.  I've done this once or twice on the GoRC forums.  If I post something and then have big news that goes in that thread, I'm not gonna edit my last post, because no one will see my news.  Do I like the idea of simply allowing multiple posts in one shot?  No.  Do I care if two posts by the same author are touching one another?  No.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline PieceMaker

• GN:EF Subcommander
  • Captain
  • I'm behind you. No really, look... Haha...shmuck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 11:24:27 am »
Holy Macoroni!!! A Sinquential (probably not the right word or right spelling) Poster!!! What were you saying Reynard? Oh, and I agree with Caenus.
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
Ah, okay, I gotcha now Reynard. However, it was in reference to Infernal's double posting. I haven't seen him (or many people, for that matter) double-posting a lot, so I was wondering why you were reprimanding him over it. I agree with Caenus - perhaps even to the point of saying less than two weeks is fine (but not like 5 in a span of 30 minutes - that's excessive and asking for a reprimand). I'm not planning on making a huge deal out of it if I see two posts touching each other on an occasional basis (hell, I've done it from time to time). I would say, though, that people shouldn't make a habit of it, and if it's shortly after their original post, then yeah - use the "Modify" button. It's there for a reason.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Neo

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 12:51:03 pm »
Ah, at least I got my point across. The reason I got after Infernal is becuase he was doing it excesivly on that topic.

~Reynard

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 06:25:01 pm »
Sigh why did I get the evil commander whose jealos of me almost having more posts then him...
Hehe jk neo your the man
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 06:34:56 pm by Infernal »

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline [GoRC]STALION

• Lieutenant
  • Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace... Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 11:25:29 am »
talk about double posting!!! that was like a
single
double
triple
quad
and watever five is...
so u just did like a major double post i would say wat it was so..yea
the one after QUAD wich equals 4 * if you didnt know...  :) *
Idle and Support [ #SKD ] on [ Gamesurge.net ]

Offline PieceMaker

• GN:EF Subcommander
  • Captain
  • I'm behind you. No really, look... Haha...shmuck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 11:41:29 am »
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:11:42 pm »
Quintuple is the word.

However, if you wanna talk about 5 things in a row, the word is quintesequential.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Mochi

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 05:42:45 pm »
YAY BABY

Offline Keith

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 06:59:14 pm »
Quintuple is the word.

However, if you wanna talk about 5 things in a row, the word is quintesequential.

and what about 27 times? lol you seem like the guy that would know ;)

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 01:30:32 am »
Anything (not a number rounded to a ten) above 12 is typically just prefixed with the number.

Like a 13 sided polygon would be a "thirteen-agon" 

No, I'm not kidding you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:12:06 pm by Caenus »

university of rock

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 03:28:29 pm »
NICE SIGNATURE

Offline xofelf

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 01:02:15 pm »
i happen to like it too....but i digress (oooh big word) i never read this post before cuzz i thought it was a place to double post and i only do that when i want to post in the same topic while i'm in school. i can only post certain periods so if i double post and i'm continuing the other one, that's what happened and i didn't know that you could edit someone's post until REYNARD/NEO bitched at me about it. so there.......*blows raspberry at neo and flips the bird*
~Erica~

"if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"