Author Topic: Who smited me?  (Read 11132 times)

Neo

Who smited me?
« on: November 25, 2005, 03:36:24 am »
and why?

~Neo

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Who smited me?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:37 am »
Heh, the -1 Karma?  I dunno.  I'd like to know who hit me, too!
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Neo

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 11:21:29 am »
What -1 carma? What am I talking about?

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 12:49:14 pm »
It looks like someone's been having too much fun with the karma. Karma is there kinda like mod points. If you think someone said something retarded, you 'smite' them. If they said something good, you 'applaud' them. Please don't go playing with the numbers; I will remove the feature. Maybe I should...
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 01:19:23 pm »
I wouldn't say remove the feature - it could prove very useful. See my post in the Bug reports about this.

Though I'm very concerned - I'm showing Neo with +999. This tells me someone is hacking - no one has the patience to click Applaud 999 times.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 01:37:19 pm »
Nevermind... Chris just told me that Neo has admin on the forums, so he can adjust it himself.

I am TEH NEWB! Durr...
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 01:37:41 pm »
No, that can be edited. Pretty easily. If you have admin. *cough cough neo cough cough*
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Neo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 04:30:57 pm »
I jsut didn't want - karma... :'(

Oh well.

~Neo

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 05:59:40 pm »
Well, for right now, the karma thing is BS - until we figure out what, if anything, we're going to do with it, nobody will be paying any attention to it.

Perhaps we should disable it until we figure something out?
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline PieceMaker

• GN:EF Subcommander
  • Captain
  • I'm behind you. No really, look... Haha...shmuck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:36:14 pm »
How do you get possitive and negative karma? And what is it in this forum?
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Neo

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 11:54:09 pm »
As of yet noone has answered my question... Neo is pissed (as is the norm the past 5 days)

Well, for right now, the karma thing is BS - until we figure out what, if anything, we're going to do with it, nobody will be paying any attention to it.

Then why does it matter if I change it?

~Neo
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:03:59 am by Neo »

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 02:05:45 am »
How do you get possitive and negative karma? And what is it in this forum?

A definition of Karma, as always, can be found here. Yet another article I can read sometime, after this stupid semester is over.

As far as its bearing on the forums, it's somewhat a way of rewarding / reprimanding users for their behaviour, or something like that. If a user is an asshat, they get smited (negative Karma); if they're a saint, they get applauded (positive Karma).

However, for now, it doesn't really do anything besides give people an "applaud" / "smite" option under people's names. Neo is upset that people are smiting him; I'm concerned for the general wellbeing of the forum that people just get smited or applauded for no apparent reason. I'm hoping we can set up something to log the smites / applauds and require users to give a reason for applauding / smiting. However, until we figure that out, the Karma system has no real meaning - we aren't basing any decisions off of it.

As of yet noone has answered my question... Neo is pissed (as is the norm the past 5 days)

Then why does it matter if I change it?

~Neo

Well, I'm sorry that you're pissed, but I can't really do anything about that.

As far as someone answering your question (presumed to be "Who smited me and why?"), I wouldn't hold my breath. I've only applauded 2 people that I know of, and smited no one, not even you ;). Since there's currently no accountability, then people have no problem smiting or rewarding. I wouldn't worry about it at all, since nothing's being based on it at the current time.

But if you're worried about the image it presents and you want to change your karma, go ahead. It's just when I saw "+999" for your karma, I immediately thought "Oh shit, we're being hacked," especially after seeing the thread on the GoRC forums about it.

Just realize we'll eventually figure out what, if anything, we want to do with this. At that point, we'll reset everybody (since no one's Karma till that point has any bearing, why should we keep it?). Then, changing your Karma will be frowned upon. But till then, go right ahead.
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 08:55:57 am »
FYI. I think I might have been the one to do it. I've applauded a bunch, and smited a few. I gave contingencyplan the -1 I think... I don't remember why.(for either.) *shrugs* it's an in the moment thing.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 01:29:36 pm »
FYI. I think I might have been the one to do it. I've applauded a bunch, and smited a few. I gave contingencyplan the -1 I think... I don't remember why.(for either.) *shrugs* it's an in the moment thing.

It was YOU?!?!

Okay, NOW I'm hurt... *sniff*

;D
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Neo

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 12:30:54 am »
so now you see were I'm coming from...

I'm not pissed at the karma system. I'm pissesd in general... (as I have been for the past 7 days) I have no reason for it realy... just pissed.

Admin_Karma +999 -0

~Neo

Offline PieceMaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 03:09:46 pm »
Hey Neo, check out your karma now. ROFLMAO!!! It wasn't me, but it's pretty frigin funny. ;D
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 03:11:42 pm »
Yeah, I think Neo did that himself. He thought it was pretty funny. I agree.

EEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIILLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Come to think of it, that may explain his general pissy-ness lately - he's the Antichrist!
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 05:26:37 pm »
Evil?  EVIL?  EEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!!!!

Heh . . . if you don't get that, then you've never watched the sophisticated 11 minutes of television better known as Spongebob. 

I work in a video store . . . we have to watch kids' stuff . . . it grows on you.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 06:20:38 pm »
You're doomed, Caenus.

Flat out doomed. :(
    ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline PieceMaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 07:13:14 pm »
If you don't like Spongebob contingency, you're doomed.