Author Topic: Working Together  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Chii

• Resident Innocent
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Working Together
« on: June 14, 2005, 11:28:18 pm »
Has anyone thought of maybe making it so that players can team up as a crew not just as a fleet or having everyone go all out for themselves? I don't know exactly how it would work but it's a thought......

You could even use it as a tool to make the game more realistic and/or like you see on shows like Andromeda and Star Trek where you get to see them working to fix things and deligating and stuff like that. Actually make it so that people can play the captain OR the engineer OR even the ship's doctor. I think it'd be kool to create a character that had healing powers and make them part of a crew. That's something I could get into....especially if the ship had a real mission like you see on tv....some greater purpose like restoring the commonwealth is in Andromeda.

I don't even know if this is stuff that can be done...I just thought it was an idea worth posting....see what people think. Let me know  :)
~*< Believe in yourself and all things are possible >*~

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Working Together
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 11:34:46 pm »
I'm letting you know what I think. You suck. (...and yes, I'm sleeping on the couch, I know. Do I atleast get a pillow this time?)

Seriously, I love the idea of having people able to play parts of the crew. From a game designer's perspective though.... what happens when you're captain's computer laggs? What about the Doctor's? What about how the game handles having 60+ people on one ship? I don't know how we'd do it... but if we can, I want too! I've always loved the thought of being able to jump into a game with my friends and command a ship, and go test our will against the universe... or something out of Star Trek.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Head Code Monkey
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
Working Together
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 11:43:56 pm »
I don't think it should really be that much of an issue, because no matter how much you have people work together, they're still individuals. Just because one person on the crew lags out usually won't mean much... (unless he's your pilot and you're going through a _very_ tight course.) But I definitely think we should have some way of providing a common interface for people in the same group/organization. It will need some careful consideration, but I definitely think it's worth the work.

Dave
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
Working Together
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 11:49:43 pm »
Quote from: "whitelynx"
[...]It will need some careful consideration, but I definitely think it's worth the work.

That it will. We need them all to know what the others are doing. Ever see Star Trek Bridge Commander? It's a good game.. and while it's one person per ship.. the interface isn't half bad.... and would work for a multiperson environment I think.... I dunno... Dave, we should get Cory to join the forums, and then to do some sketching... hehe. (He's the guy doing the textures for our ships.)
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline fehknt

• Special Users
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Working Together
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 12:10:19 am »
I'd agree that it shouldn't be that much of an issue.  I'd also agree that, done well, it could add _hugely_ to this game's value.  I don't want to see it being really needed at any point, but if the option was there, to set up a crew of a medium-size cruiser, fill the officers spots with real people...  Yes, I like that idea.