Author Topic: Galaxy Size  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Oceanus

• Commander
    • View Profile
Galaxy Size
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:13:43 pm »
I know this game is going to require some immense "computing" to get things done. My question is if your going to need some servers? maybe 3 to 4 to get started?. The size of the galaxy will have to be big in order to allow player capabilties of going out into deep space and maybe finding a new place to get minerals or something.

Just a thought.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Gray Haired
  • Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Size
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 08:07:38 pm »
I know this game is going to require some immense "computing" to get things done. My question is if your going to need some servers? maybe 3 to 4 to get started?. The size of the galaxy will have to be big in order to allow player capabilties of going out into deep space and maybe finding a new place to get minerals or something.

Just a thought.

A nice thought, although at the beginnning beginning I think that they'll just need a single server. Probably running about a solar systems worth of stuff or less. Beyond that it really depends on the number of players, AI programming, and all that jazz.

PhinnFort

Re: Galaxy Size
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 04:02:48 pm »
Parsec was going to use some kind of P2P network, AFAIK. Of course, it would require some advanced security measures to prevent cheating and people just wrecking havoc, but it could take some load of the servers, if not remove the need for them totally.

-PhinnFort