Author Topic: Holy...... Crap!  (Read 9783 times)

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Holy...... Crap!
« on: November 14, 2005, 10:22:38 pm »
Check THIS out:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051114-5571.html

Needless to say, I WANT ONE. Unfortunately, I'm a broke college student, so I can't afford one.

But wouldn't Precursors look SWEET on this baby?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

ljeidmziehpepn

Re: Holy...... Crap!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 09:49:20 pm »
WOW, do i feel poor!
Well needless to say I only have a 128 mb Graphics Card, hoping to buy a 256 soon; then I find out, quite sadly, that they come out with a 512 graphics card... I'm sad, but great find!

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 09:55:14 pm »
I've got a 128... however it's only a fx5200. It's crappy. I want a new one.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 10:29:24 pm »
Mine's a 128MB Geforce 4 Ti 4400 - what are you bitching about? :P
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Neo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:50:14 am »
I have dawns old one. O.o

~Neo

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 11:14:09 am »
Mine's a 128MB Geforce 4 Ti 4400 - what are you bitching about? :P

So, basically, we have the same card? :P
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 12:16:58 pm »
I have a Radeon Xtasy which is a PIECE.  Quit whining.

Dang . . . I can't imagine being a serious enough gamer to need THAT thing.
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline PieceMaker

• GN:EF Subcommander
  • Captain
  • I'm behind you. No really, look... Haha...shmuck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:53:44 pm »
I didn't know you had Dawn's GeForceFX5200 256meg Neo. That's cool. I went all out and bought a Radeon 9800 with 256megs of ram. It pwns.
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 07:56:52 pm »
Yeah.. it's better than my card. I want that one contingencyplan posted, though.... damn. I wanna hump it.

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
  • Commodore
  • Internet Idiocy Pundit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 09:45:33 pm »
Personally I'm happy with the one in my lappy... GeForce Go 6600 128MB... my laptop kicks the shit out of my desktop, which has an FX5600 in it
"Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
 - Nietzsche

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 01:59:08 am »
Heh, I'm stuck with the integrated PIECE OF UNMITIGATED CRAP that Dell put in my laptop . . . for now.  At least my PC can run HALO and Enter the Matrix.   
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline PieceMaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 01:35:46 pm »
Yeah Cae, just be glad they didn't give you the one that they gave my parents, a crappy GeForce2Go with 32 megs of ram. That's Crap.

Oh, I know I already posted this in the GoRC forums, but since most people here arn't members of that one, I'll go ahead and post it here. This kicks that other cards butt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814124115

P.S. This was $1,499 when I last checked and it just went up. Holy Cow.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 02:16:00 pm by PieceMaker »
The true hacker almost always accuses the non-hacker of doing the hacking. - PieceMaker

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 12:54:56 am »
I honestly think I could come up with something better to do with 1500 bucks.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 01:17:34 am »
For that, I could get one helluva nice laptop with a FX Go 6800 in it, and be really happy. I really don't see the need for that card, since it's not all that good at games anyway. It's for modeling, not for gaming. There is a definite difference in design there. Then again... I'd love to see Maya, or Cinema4D on that thing... :-p

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 01:20:25 am »
Heck yeah!  Maya would pwn on that thing.

Offline PieceMaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 08:09:20 pm »
Yea, it would. I'd like to see that thing in action with Maya.

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 10:40:48 pm »
You know, I did some animations with Maya a few months back . . . too bad I deleted them.

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 01:48:22 pm »
woahh thats one nice graphics card im sure it would be cheaper at newegg.com though

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 08:01:44 pm »
my laptop has a radeon sumthin w/ 256 megs (dont feel like lookin up specifics right now :P)...it can run 3ds max and halo well, but I am still gonna try to get a new desktop soon so that I can put some pwnage parts into it, therefore killing any limitation my laptop has (e.g.: im gettin like 3-4 gb ram so that i dont have to deal with that crap that happens when I work with alot of objects or meshsmooth ititerations in max to wher my pc runs slow sometimes...it anoys the crap outta me.)

Offline Dawn

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
    • Dawnet
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 11:17:48 am »
Currently I have a x700 256mb pci express 16x. It is the pwn, except for that the fact that even my fx5200 outpreformed it while running dualies. When it comes to Dual monitors, Nvidia turns ATI over it's knee.
Daddy, What does formatting drive c: mean?