Author Topic: New Forums (To Do List)  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
New Forums (To Do List)
« on: November 03, 2005, 11:39:58 am »
Well, I've found a few things that need to be done on the new forums, so I figures I'd list them, and then take requests for things you'd like to see changes. Here's my list so far:

Form Changes Needed:
    • Smiley Themes - [size 8pt]We actually need to install some.[/size] (DONE)
    • Color Theme - [size 8pt]We currently have some installed, but we need to make one that fits our website style.[/size] (DONE)
    • Calander Feature - [size 8pt]SMF has this ability, but we need to configure it, and use it.[/size] (DONE)

SMF Feature Requests:
      • Save Draft - [size 8pt]The ability to safe a draft for a set amount of time.[/size]
      • Auto Save Draft - [size 8pt]Like G-Mail, it save a draft every few seconds, to make sure you don't lose your post.[/size]

Any other things?

--Chris

[edit: added contingencyplan's suggestion about the calander, and draft feature.][/list][/list]
      « Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 01:20:04 am by morgul »
      "Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
      • Ivory-Tower Theorist
      • Admiral
      • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
        • View Profile
        • My Blog
      Re: New Forums (To Do List)
      « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 01:55:11 pm »
      While it's an outright feature req for the forums software, I'd like to see the ability to save draft posts. I think we could have it save them for, say, 14 days (since the idea is that it's a short-term, "I don't have time to finish my thought but I'm not ready to post yet" deal), then automatically delete it. The button could be at the bottom, next to Post and Preview.

Also, I noticed that SMF allows for a calendar feature. That may be useful for scheduling events, or at least letting people know about them (e.g., IRC chat sessions, etc.). I definitely see that being a major thing later on, when we have a fanbase - "Come hang out with the people who made your favorite game! Also, get more info about the tournament next month!"

I also agree with the things you said, morgul.
      « Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 01:58:42 pm by contingencyplan »
      We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
          ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
          ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
          ~Blaise Pascal

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
      • Ivory-Tower Theorist
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
        • My Blog
      « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 01:17:15 am »
      Another thing: When people register, automatically send them an email or PM welcoming them and asking them to post in the introduction thread.
      We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
          ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
          ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
          ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
      • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
      • Grand Admiral
      • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
        • View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 01:19:30 am »
      I'd love to do that. No clue how. Feel free to poke around untill you find it...

--Chris
      "Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

Offline whitelynx

• GNE Founder
      • Head Code Monkey
      • Commodore
      • Internet Idiocy Pundit
        • View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:42:46 pm »
      Another thing: When people register, automatically send them an email or PM welcoming them and asking them to post in the introduction thread.
      SMF already has an option for this, and it is already enabled... however, we have no control over the message that is sent at this time. It looks like there should be an SMF mod to be able to control that; we just have to find it.

Dave
      "Without music, life is a mistake, a trial, an exile."
       - Nietzsche

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
      • Ivory-Tower Theorist
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
        • My Blog
      « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:57:41 pm »
      Another question: Can we get rid of the annoying second scrollbars in the posts themselves? The post box length should be the length of the post, so why do we even need another scrollbar?

I'm using Firefox - I've seen this in both Linux (using 1.0.7) and Windows (using 1.5b2).
          ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
      • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
      • Grand Admiral
      • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
        • View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 06:50:12 pm »
      Another question: Can we get rid of the annoying second scrollbars in the posts themselves? The post box length should be the length of the post, so why do we even need another scrollbar?

I'm using Firefox - I've seen this in both Linux (using 1.0.7) and Windows (using 1.5b2).

I sure as hell hope we can. Don't know how, though. I'll give it a shot tonight, maybe. I hate those things.

Neo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 10:34:18 am »
      There should be a "modify" button next to the post title.

This may only currently be availible to moderators, at least that's my guess based on my work with forums in the past.

Peace
      ~Neo

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
      • Ivory-Tower Theorist
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
        • My Blog
      « Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 01:49:18 am »
      We also need to fix this Karma system. Caenus has +7 / -7 - how did that happen? Someone on the boards is going trigger-happy with the system, and I don't like it.

I think we should look at one of the mods for the Karma system - I think they have a logging system and a system to put in reasons for applauding or smiting a user. Both these should cut down on the abuse I already see happening.

No, the abuse isn't bad, so don't think I'm greatly alarmed. However, I do think that something needs to be done before it gets out of hand. Knowing the idiots that sometimes play on CS and thus may be attracted to the site, that abuse is coming, methinks.

Alternately, we may just have it as a system for the mods to reward or reprimand users - make it unavailable to others. If they see a bad post, they can report it, and let the mod smite the offender.

Which idea would work better, do y'all think?
          ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
      • Concept Artist
      • Grand Admiral
      • That, I cannot do.
        • View Profile
        • Art Blog
      « Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 10:16:36 am »
      As far as which system, it's up to you guys.

As far as color scheme and such, do you guys want to pick a color scheme and have Purplehoodie Productions make the graphics to match, or would you like us to come up with all of it?  I know we won't be starting on this until around Dec. 17th, but you guys might think about what you want graphically, because essentially, if you can think it up - we'll make it.

heh, +7/-7 . . . that's funny.
      Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
      • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
      • Grand Admiral
      • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 12:53:13 pm »
      I am restricting the karma system to mods and admins.. no others. I admit, I've been the source of a good deal of the initial mod points, like the occasional smite due to something I think is stupid or retarded that got said. :P. I don't mean it to be too negative. Just, that's how I thouth the system was to be used.

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
      • Ivory-Tower Theorist
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
        • My Blog
      « Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:23:40 pm »
      It is, but I don't think it should be entirely anonymous. At least to the admins and mods, we should be able to see who's been smiting whom (and why, if we [also?] use the system requiring a reason for smiting / applauding a person. Having some accountability for your applauding / smiting will cut down on abuse significantly and allow us to spot abuse much more easily.

Also, like I said in General Discussion, the fact that Neo has +999 / -0 concerns me greatly - tells me someone is hacking our forums, because no one is going to sit there and click Applaud 999 times. (Or if someone does, then they should be whopped upside the head and told to get a fscking life.)
          ~Robert Wilensky

~GK Chesterton

~Blaise Pascal