Author Topic: Pwnage HUD  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
Pwnage HUD
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:10:06 pm »

Yes i know its so bad it hurts your eyes ( = dont worry this is the rough rough rough draft of my HUD it will be much more detailed and much less sloppy in the final just wanted to know peoples ideas on it
After receiving ideas I will create the ships " Cross hair" And redo the art work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Please comment and give your opinions, but don't leave comments saying " The boxes and radar are sloppy" I know this very well as I said it is a rough draft, leave comments only on the abstract idea itself please.
Thank you
  Infernal
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:22:29 pm by Infernal »

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
Re: Pwnage HUD
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 01:52:13 am »
Here's a thought . . . since most people are right-handed, and most righties are right eye dominant, wouldn't it be better to have vital stats on the left side of the screen?  Since the right eye naturally will cross there. 

Try it, look at the screen and then glance to the left and then the right.  Which was easier?

Seriously, though, stuff like armor, engines, ammo, etc. 
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 05:31:44 am »
lol...u really like that ship, huh?....

Offline contingencyplan

• Villain
  • Ivory-Tower Theorist
  • Admiral
  • Must I sin once, and repent forever?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 03:16:56 pm »
Here's a thought . . . since most people are right-handed, and most righties are right eye dominant, wouldn't it be better to have vital stats on the left side of the screen?  Since the right eye naturally will cross there. 

Try it, look at the screen and then glance to the left and then the right.  Which was easier?

Seriously, though, stuff like armor, engines, ammo, etc. 

That's something to be pointed out - the goal here is to have a general interface that users can then customize through some means. We don't know what those means quite are going to be yet, but they will be there. So try to make your HUDs with somewhat of a modularized concept - easy to manipulate. Maybe design your HUDs with several screenshots depicting different uses - since the user may choose a subset of the available functionality, you may have too much functionality to put everything on the screen at once.

At least, that's my idea. Morgul may have something more to add. Or change. Or he may throw my idea out completely and whop me upside the head for posting such foolishness.

Either way, it's still the vision I have of the HUD.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. 
    ~Robert Wilensky

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
    ~GK Chesterton

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
    ~Blaise Pascal

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 04:27:50 pm »
No, contingencyplan, you're right in what you say.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline Caenus

• Married Man
  • Concept Artist
  • Grand Admiral
  • That, I cannot do.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 05:11:14 pm »
Yeah, that would be cool . . . have various configurations and then have subsets of each (lefthand/righthand).
Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee God for forgiveness.

Offline Morgul

• GNE Founder
  • Grand Admiral
  • Godlike Fuzzy Dice
    • View Profile
    • G33X Nexus Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 05:29:03 pm »
I plan on having different hud layout bound to hotkeys. It will be teh pwnage.
"Just because my math may tell lies doesn't mean that I don't understand the quantum mechanics of it all." --Caenus

The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Vin Diesel and forgot to pay him back.

"In the beginning there was nothing. And it exploded." --Terry Pratchett

Offline ryguy_1617

• 3d Modeler
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • http://flashcubestudios.com
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 06:34:36 pm »
Ahh, that would be very nice...and easily accessible.  At first I thought that it would just be clicking on icons, and I thought that that might be inconvenient but that idea is, quote: "teh pwnage".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:07:49 pm by ryguy_1617 »

Offline Infernal

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 07:46:11 pm »
ty with these ideas I will go ahead and begin the oficial HUD of mine ( =.  I will make it in flash and it will be interactive to a degree including the option to switch from left to right =D.
Thanks for the ideas...
-Infernal

Yesterday We Obeyed Kings And Bent Our Necks To Emperors. Today We Kneel Only To Truth - Kahlil Gibran